Login Register

No win in 30 for Penzance's Magpies

By The Cornishman  |  Posted: March 21, 2013

No win in 30 for Penzance's Magpies

Comments (0)


PENZANCE are still without a league win in 30 attempts this season after St Austell ended a run of three successive defeats with a comfortable 4-1 home win at Poltair Park on Saturday.

Former Truro City skipper Tom Smith headed the Lillywhites into a 12th minute lead from former Magpie Chris Reski's corner, before Mike Body doubled the home side's lead with a close range strike eight minutes later.

But it wasn't until 11 minutes into the second half that St Austell again breached the visitors' defence when Body netted his second of the afternoon when he latched onto Reski's through ball to beat the advancing Paul Williams.

Williams pulled off several top drawer saves to keep the scoreline respectable, but even he was powerless to prevent Nick Campbell turning home Body's low cross after 71 minutes.

Penzance kept plucking away and their efforts were rewarded ten minutes from time when Will Southcott's free kick beat home keeper Jason Peters.

The Magpies are without a fixture this weekend, with their next league match the home local derby with Falmouth Town on Good Friday (3pm).


HAYLE were made to work extremly hard for a narrow 1-0 win at struggling Foxhole Stars, who will not come any closer to claiming only their second win of the season.

It has been a wretched season for the Stars, whose only win of the campaign came back in November when they beat Mousehole.

But only some wayward finishing denied Bob Dingle's men a morale-boosting result.

Joe Gaskill had their best two chances in the first half when he fired straight at Hayle keeper Dan Burrows. Gaskill was denied again, this time hitting the bar.

And the misses would prove costly as Hayle secured all three points when Gary Mills headed home Ed Timmons' cross.

Mills was unlucky not to grab a second goal when he headed against the bar.

Hayle are away to Perranporth this Saturday, while Mousehole travel to St Dennis (3pm)

Elsewhere, with second-placed Helston not in action, Godolphin Atlantic extended their lead to 14 points thanks to a 2-0 win at home to Holsworthy.


SATURDAY'S programme was badly affected by the weather, with four of the eight scheduled league fixtures postponed due to waterlogged pitches, along with the Supplementary Cup tie between Porthleven and St Just.

In the matches that did survive the Friday night deluge, St Ives Town took the opportunity to move to within a point of third place Ludgvan after completing back to back league wins over Falmouth Town inside seven days with a 4-2 home win at The Saltings.

The Saints raced into a 2-0 lead after 20 minutes thanks to goals from striker Joel McWilliams and former Town defender Ryan Bushby.

Leading scorer May then made it 3-0 shortly before the interval, although Town did pull a goal back right on the stroke of half-time when Connor Edison netted from a corner.

The visitors came out with renewed vigour in the second half and further reduced the arrears with a free kick from Andy Miles. However, any hopes of a comeback were dashed when Sam Twyford made the points safe for St Ives with their fourth goal 15 minutes from time

Pendeen Rovers remain in sixth place in the table after a 2-2 draw at home to Mullion, whose point was enough to move them above Goonhavern into seventh spot.

Mullion converted the first of three penalties in the match when Rob Carey's spot kick gave the visitors a 1-0 interval lead.

Pendeen drew level on the hour when defender Glen Carew scored from a Gary Matthews corner, before Matthews himself was brought down in the box and scored the resulting penalty himself.

But the home side's lead was short-lived as Mullion were awarded a second penalty which Alan Thomas duly netted to earn the visitors a share of the spoils.

Elsewhere, two goals either side of half-time from Chris Tolley were enough to earn second place St Day a 2-0 win at RNAS Culdrose, which cut Illogan's lead at the top to just two points.

The shock result of the day came at Trevassack Park, where bottom of the table Holmans recorded only their third league victory of the season in a 3-2 win over Hayle.

The visitors led 1-0 at half-time with a goal from Jason Blight, with second half goals from Adam Selley (penalty) and Alan Meredith enough to secure a rare three points, despite Hayle scoring two second half goals of their own through Ben Hocking and a Sam Charlton spot kick.

Illogan will play title rivals St Day in the League Cup final after a 3-2 victory over Perranwell in Sunday's second semi final on the ground of their cup final opponents. Simon Ellis netted a brace for Illogan, whose other goal came from top scorer Dominic Pullen, while Perranwell's goals came from Mike Brewer and an own goal.

Jolly's Cornwall Combination (3pm): Goonhavern v Falmouth Ath; Holman SC v Falmouth Tn; Illogan v Porthleven; Ludgvan v St Ives Town; Mullion v Troon; Pendeen v Hayle; Penryn v St Agnes; Perranwell v RNAS Culdrose; St Day v Wendron; St Just v Newquay.

Read more from The Cornishman

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters