Login Register

Eight-try Hakes maintain pressure on leaders with tenth successive win

By The Cornishman  |  Posted: November 08, 2012

  • Teenage winger Liam Walsh breaks free to score a try on his debut appearance for the Pirates Amateurs.

  • Amateurs No8 Jamie Barrett breaks through the Liskeard defence.

Comments (0)

St Ives 48, Crediton 7

UNBEATEN St Ives remain hot on the heels of Cornwall and Devon League leaders Teignmouth after an eight-try demolition of Crediton at Alexandra Road on Saturday.

The Hakes served up another fine display of attacking rugby, despite the weather and pitch conditions, and they trail their south Devon rivals by one point going into the first break of the league season.

Delighted St Ives head coach Joff Rowe said: "I'm very pleased with our performance, the skill levels and our attitude were extremely good and the players showed they can still play entertaining rugby, despite the wet and cold weather.

"We are disappointed about the try we conceded as our defence was strong and continues to get better.

"Tony Stevens was particularly impressive in defence, but my man of the game was Neil Corin, who scored two great tries and dominated the line-out."

The game was played in increasingly poor weather as rain swept across the pitch in the second half, but it did not dampen the display.

The Hakes opened the scoring after only eight minutes with a catch-and-drive line-out try by prop Ben Wheeler, with former Cornish Pirates fly half Ceiron Thomas converting.

Try number two arrived in the 17th minute when the ball was spun wide to winger Rob Rowe, who still had plenty to do but showed excellent feet and good determination to score in the corner.

Seven minutes later, another driving maul off a line-out resulted in skipper and hooker Ben Taylor getting the touchdown to make it 17-0.

Crediton spent the rest of the half pushing for their first points, but the St Ives defence performed superbly to keep them out.


The second half began in the worst possible fashion for Crediton as they lost a prop to the sin-bin for persistent offending at the breakdown by his side.

St Ives took full advantage of their extra man, with Thomas taking on the home defence and forcing his way through to score a fine try, which he converted himself.

Thomas again had a big say in the next try when he spun the ball quickly wide to Corin, who outpaced the Crediton defence to score.

The next two tries were collected by hard-working lock Tom Barber – the first out wide from an unselfish offload by No.8 Scott Perkin, and the second five minutes later when he skipped through a hole in the Crediton defence. Thomas converted the second to put the result beyond doubt at 41-0.

Crediton finally broke their duck with an interception try by Mike Pearce, converted by Tom Ronchetti, but another Corin try, converted by Thomas, rounded off the scoring.

The Hakes are involved in Tribute Cornwall Cup quarter-final action on Saturday when they visit Newquay Hornets (2pm).

St Ives: Moyle, R Rowe, Nicholas, Sherris, Veal, Thomas, Palmer, Wheeler, Taylor (capt), T Stevens, Barber, Humphries, Corin, S Stevens, Perkin. Replacements all used: Jenkins, A Rowe, Cox.

Scorers: St Ives: Wheeler, R Rowe, Taylor, Thomas, Corin (2), Barber (2); Cons: Thomas (4). Crediton: try: Pearce; Con: Ronchetti.

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters