RESIDENTS in Long Rock were left without any pedestrian access to the beach for a week.
Due to storm damage, the vehicle crossing gate was down permanently blocking the way through the only beach access point in the village.
The former pedestrian crossing at Mexico Inn has been closed for more than a year while a public inquiry is set to get underway into the safety of the public thoroughfare.
Resident Robert Nance said people in the community felt like they were trapped.
"It really felt like we were being hemmed in. We have got the byway to the north of us but nobody wants to cross a 70mph road. From the south we are hemmed in by two closed crossings. "
A spokesman for Network Rail said the operator had no option but to keep the crossing gate closed while essential repairs were conducted following damage from the storms.
He confirmed that the crossing had now reopened.
Mr Nance, who is also chairman of campaign group Friends of Long Rock Mexico Crossing, said it had been particularly frustrating for villagers as no trains had been passing the site since the Valentine's Day storm flooded Penzance station.
With the issue of beach access rearing its head again, Mr Nance said the campaign was very much continuing to see the Mexico foot crossing reopened.
"The council is hoping to send the case papers to the Secretary of State this Friday. When the Secretary of State receives them then they will be available for the public to see," said Mr Nance.
The campaigners are hoping a date will be set for a public inquiry by the middle of next week.