Login Register

Hurlers unbeaten run comes to a halt

By West Briton  |  Posted: January 31, 2013

Comments (0)

St Day 5, Ludgvan 2

LUDGVAN'S ten match unbeaten run came to an abrupt end on Saturday as they were hit for five by title challengers St Day.

Despite their league position, many people fancied the in form away side to pick up all three points but any thoughts of an upset were scuppered inside the first 20 minutes as the hosts stormed in to a 3-0 lead to show exactly why they are in the hunt for the title.

Ludgvan manager Anthony Hosking rued his side's first half display but was pleased with the character his side showed in the second period to try and get back in to the match.

He said: "The early goals killed us really. I think if we could have pulled one back before half-time it could have been different but I was happy with the second half performance.

"The unbeaten run is over but it could be a blessing in disguise. I'm happy with our current league position and I think we can finish in the top six."

St Day started the brighter of the two sides and showed their attacking intent inside the first ten minutes when Chris Tolley's ball across goal was crucially headed away by Ludgvan defender Jamie Devine with Shane Richards poised at the back post.

The warning signs were there already for the away side who were on the backfoot and effectively found themselves out of the match shortly after in a ruthless six minute spell.

First, Justin Miles' free-kick on the edge of the area was headed home by defensive partner Terry Rowe before Tolley's superb diagonal ball was latched on to by Richards who confidently slotted past Matt Stevens to make it 2-0 four minutes later.

Tolley was at the heart of everything and the midfielder was involved again moments after, finding space in the area before unselfishly crossing for Martin Day whose header across goal was bundled in to the net by Steve Brewer.

It was a display of clinical finishing and direct attacking football, and it could have been even better for the home side as Brewer's curling effort was tipped onto the bar by Stevens before another Miles free-kick was headed onto the post by Matt Witts with still less than half an hour played.

Ludgvan rang the changes at half-time which certainly made a difference but they found themselves four down after 54 minutes when Liam Devine brought down Gavin Boon in the box and Tolley stepped up to get the goal his performance deserved, sending Stevens the wrong way from the spot.

The away side never gave in though, and eventually pulled one back on the hour mark when they were awarded a penalty when Gerens James was fouled by Nathan Taylor.

Substitute Jack Ramsey smashed home the penalty and there were whispers of a comeback as James had a shot well saved by Ryan Gendall before they pulled another back when Ross Badcock's header was tipped on to the bar by Gendall and headed into his own net by Miles.

Ludgvan continued to press but any hopes of keeping their unbeaten run intact were finally quashed in the closing stages when Tolley's shot was parried to Danny Ford who smashed in to the empty net from close range, ensuring St Day kept the pressure on leaders Illogan, who maintained their two-point lead at the top after winning 4-0 at Penryn.

Saints' boss Matt Harris admitted that it was a great day for his side and nice to end Ludgvan's unbeaten run.

He said: "We've burst their bubble and it's another top six side out of the way.

"The difference was that we've been playing poor and winning in recent weeks but today we played well and won."

Read more from The Cornishman

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters