Login Register

Seagulls rally to avoid big Cup upset

By The Cornishman  |  Posted: November 07, 2013

  • HOT PURSUIT: Ludgvan striker Tom Patrick heads for goal after shrugging off St Ives Town's Jordan Richards during Saturday's Jolly's Cornwall Combination League local derby at The Saltings. CIoSP.

Comments (0)

Mousehole 4, Millbrook 3 (aet)

FOR the second weekend in succession Mousehole clinched an extra-time cup victory after lower league outfit Millbrook came within five minutes of springing a big upset against the unbeaten Carlsberg South West Peninsula League division one west leaders.

In truth the howling gale at Trungle Parc proved something of a leveller but Mousehole started poorly and the East Cornwall League side shocked their hosts by taking the lead through Jordan Tippett after half an hour and adding a second through Shaun Evans on the hour.

However, just as the Seagulls looked on course for an early cup exit, what proved to be an inspired double substitution and change of formation by player-manager Wayne Quinn turned the tie in the home side's favour.

Indeed within five minutes of Quinn's tactical switch, Wade Brown pulled a goal back from substitute Karl Turner's cross.

But although Mousehole started to pressure the visiting defence there were only five minutes remaining when impressive midfielder Steve Burt scored to force extra-time.

Burt struck again ten minutes into the first period of extra time to make it 3-2 following some good work from another substitute Dan Magee and Matt Shiels.

But Millbrook, with Dan Gage impressive at the heart of defence, were still not finished and equalised with a great 25 yard strike from Luke Bailey.

With the game seemingly heading for penalties the Seagulls were badly in need of a moment of inspiration and it was eventually provided by skipper Mark Vercesi who popped up to head home another Magee cross and clinch his side a place in quarter-finals, to be played in February.

This weekend Mousehole return to league action looking to break Wadebridge's league record of 11 consecutive division one west victories when they take on the Bridgers at Bodieve Park (3pm).

Mousehole: D King; M Trevail, C Russell, W Quinn, O Barrett, M Davies, S Burt, M Vercesi, N Pugliese, M Shiels, W Brown. Subs: K Turner (for Davies), D Magee (for Trevail); S Stevens, E Chapman (not used).

MoM: Steve Burt (Mousehole).

Perranporth 3, Penzance 1

THE Magpies were unable to repeat the heroics of the previous weekend that saw them knock premier division Newquay out of the Throgmorton Cup as they suffered a first round exit at a windswept Ponsmere Valley.

The Pilchards were keen to avenge their 6-4 league defeat at Penlee Park back on the opening day of the season and took only three minutes to take the lead when Reg Pearson cut in from the left before finding the bottom corner of the net.

The Magpies fought back though and restored parity after 16 minutes with a looping shot from Callum George which sailed into the top corner.

The visitors' joy was shortlived as Perranporth restored their lead within nine minutes when former Newquay striker Paul Robertson beat two Magpies defenders before finding the back of the net.

The second half brought few chances for either side in the windy conditions but it was the Pilchards who secured their safe passage through to the last eight, courtesy of Pearson's second goal of the afternoon 25 minutes from time.

This Saturday Penzance make the short trip to Penryn looking to avenge their recent 6-1 home defeat at Penlee Park (2.15), before Tuesday night's tough Throgmorton Cup second round tie at premier division St Austell (7.30).

Elsewhere, Helston cruised into the quarter-finals with a 6-1 home demolition of Bude.

The tie was effectively over in the opening 20 minutes, as Helston cruised into a 3-0 lead with two goals from Mark Goldsworthy and Hugh Howlett.

Bude did pull a goal back, through a Joshua Allen penalty, but Danny Ford's goal restored Helston's three goal advantage before half time.

In a comfortable second period, Goldsworthy completed his hat-trick with Aaron Collick also on target with Helston's sixth goal.

An 18th minute goal by Adam Williams from a corner by Harry Evans was enough to take Truro City through as they won 1-0 at struggling Foxhole, who have won just one of their last 58 competitive games.

Porthleven gave cup holders Sticker a fright before being beaten 6-2 after extra time at Burngullow Park.

The young Porthleven side came within five minutes of causing an upset after goals by Sam Kay and Jordan Annear put them 2-1 up with time running out after Andrew Butler had given Sticker the lead.

But a last gasp Jack Bowyer penalty took the tie into extra time and the home side took command with two goals from Jake Street, a second Bowyer penalty and a Chris Brown effort sealed their place in the last eight.

Penryn came within seconds of a quarter-final place at Dobwalls when goals by Kayne Trevaskis and Kevin Lawrence saw them leed 2-1.

Some great saves by Penryn keeper Chris Symons looked to have ensured his side's safe passage, but wth virtually the last kick Martyn Hake penalty levelled the scores after a handball by the visitors.

And it was the home side who scored the only goal of extra time with Jack Bartlett netting following a goalmouth scramble to send Dobwalls through to the second round in February.

Read more from The Cornishman

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters