Login Register

SWPL Division One West round-up: October 18

By The Cornishman  |  Posted: October 18, 2012

Helston's Tom Russell tussles for the ball with Mousehole's Jamie Robinson during Saturday's Division One West match.

Comments (0)

THE division one west title race is developing into a three-horse race as Helston Athletic kept the pressure on leaders Godolphin Atlantic with an emphatic win at Kellaway Parc on Saturday.

They put seven goals past Mousehole, though they remain five points behind leaders Godolphin Atlantic, who made it ten wins from ten at Dobwalls on Saturday.

Sid Taylor's men are also being chased by Wadebridge, who have slowly crept up the table to third after claiming their seventh straight win after putting 12 goals past Foxhole Stars at the weekend.

Mark Goldsworthy opened the floodgates for Helston, with Liam Eddy adding two goals and Jamie Thomson, Tom Russell, James Miller and Charlie Young completing the scoring.

On Tuesday night Mousehole lost 5-2 at Truro City, for whom Mike Vanes claimed a hat-trick with Andy Bowker and Scott Palmer also on target.

For Mousehole, Ollie Pridham and Perry Reynolds (penalty) scored late consolation goals.

Hayle were unable to complete what would have been an heroic comeback after losing 3-2 at Vospers Oak Villa.

They found themselves 3-0 down inside the opening 22 minutes of the first half.

Vospers were given a 13th minute lead through James Hoblin, who added a second goal seven minutes later to put Vospers in control.

And when Lee Hocking volleyed Vospers 3-0 in front, there appeared no way back for Hayle.

However, Kevin Lawrence gave them some hope when he scored from the penalty spot after 29 minutes.

And when Richard Jones scored their second 15 minutes from time, Hayle were in the ascendancy and looked good for a point.

But a third goal proved elusive, as Vospers hung on to claim all three points.

Elsewhere, Scott Palmer scored twice as Truro City recorded a 3-1 win at Porthleven on Saturday.

City led after ten minutes when Palmer latched on to a ball over the top from Adam Toy before slipping the ball into the back of the net.

With 21 minutes played Truro doubled their lead when Palmer closed in to grab his second goal of the afternoon.

And a rout looked on the cards when Porthleven conceded a third goal in the 35th minute, veteran striker Andy Bowker driving the ball into the bottom corner.

However, Port fought back after the break and they pulled a goal back through Jordan Annear's 78th minute penalty.

Jason Roberts struck two minutes from time to earn Penryn Athletic a 3-3 draw at St Dennis.

Two goals from Dale Band inside the opening half hour put Penryn in control.

However, Dave Rickard turned in Chris Brown's shot to get St Dennis back into the game. And the hosts were level before half-time when Perry Harvey's cross turned shot landed in the net.

St Dennis created a host of chances in the second half before Carl Rickard finally put them in front.

But just minutes from the final whistle Roberts tapped home at the back post to earn Penryn a share of the spoils.

Read more from The Cornishman

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters