Login Register

Rugby: Hayle and Pirates Amateurs match reports

By The Cornishman  |  Posted: December 05, 2013

Comments (0)

Hayle 35, Honiton 8

HAYLE returned to winning ways with a fine display against Honiton, in a game that saw them play some enterprising and attractive rugby, writes Patrick Rescorla.

However, it was Honiton who opened the scoring with an Ollie Cave penalty on four minutes, but this was quickly cancelled out when scrum half Dan Magee darted over for Hayle's first try, which he also converted for a 7-3 lead after seven minutes.

After an evenly contested first quarter, Honiton winger Phil Bennett was next to score when he crossed in the corner on 25 minutes after gathering a kick ahead, the conversion was missed.

However, Hayle regained the lead with two quickfire Magee penalties on 28 and 34 minutes before adding another try three minutes later when Scott Harvey ran in from 50 metres for Magee to convert, making the half-time score 20-8.

Hayle's dominance continued in the second half with Magee kicking a long range penalty on 46 minutes, before Rob Goodman put the game out of sight when he crossed the line after another long range attack. Magee again converted and Hayle were out of sight at 30-8.

The bonus point try arrived on 54 minutes when hooker Danny Clackworthy touched down from a driving maul. Magee who had kicked faultlessly all game, missed the conversion.

It was the Hayle forwards that laid the foundation for this win with a dominant display in the scrum and control in the line-out, the forwards all carried the ball well in the loose, with Tony Matthews and Clackworthy storming through the Honiton defence on several occasions.

Honiton wanted to play an open and quick game all afternoon, but were reluctant to take on the Hayle pack, opting to run rather than scrummage on several occasions.

Half backs Magee and Harvey proved a good combination, both kicked well for field position and looked dangerous with ball in hand, and it was Magee's goal kicking that kept the score board moving and enabled them to build a lead.

With a good supply of possession, the Hayle backs showed what they can do with creative running and precise handling, while full back Rob Cutter looked particularly dangerous when he joined the attack.

Hayle player-coach Danny Clackworthy said: "After a tough month it was good to get back home and to win so well.

"Honiton are a good side but as the game went on we looked stronger and they struggled to compete with us up front. We created lots of chances and probably left 20 points out there. I am really pleased, everyone played well, was fully committed and we got the result we deserved."

This Saturday Hayle will look to continue their good recent form at Exeter Saracens (2.30pm).

Hayle: D Penrose, D Clackworthy, B Pow, P Tonkin, T Matthews, J Heath, R Goodman, A Thornton, D Magee, S Harvey, L Laity, S Murray, D Arnull, J Chadwick, R Cutter. Replacements: T Barber, K Trevaskis, J Cameron.

Scorers: Hayle – Tries: Magee, Harvey, Goodman, Clackworthy. Con – Magee (3). Pens – Magee (3). Honiton – Try: Bennett. Pen – Cave.

OPM'S 13, Pirates Amateurs 18

THE Amateurs were delighted to return back over the Tamar Bridge with a hard-earned victory over fellow strugglers OPMs at Elburton on Saturday.

In a competitive encounter, played in good spirits by both sides, the visitors were first to settle and took the lead after only four minutes when Danny Toolan showed good power and footwork to beat five defenders and run in from 15 metres. Rhys Brownfield added the extra two points with an excellent touchline conversion.

OPM's enjoyed a good spell of pressure, but the Amateurs defence stood firm and a 35th minute penalty from Brownfield made it 10-0 to the visitors at half-time.

The second half saw the Amateurs pinned back inside their own territoryhowever, and OPMs clawed their way back into the game with a Matt Naylor try converted by Gavin Rea to bring the score to 10-7.

The visitors regained their composure and after a good spell of pressure, they increased their lead with another Brownfield penalty, before receiving the first of three yellow cards when Charlie Goldsworthy was adjudged to have made a late tackle.

And just before Goldsworthy returned to the fold, Kieran Brownfield was also sin-binned to leave the visitors with 13 men for a four minute spell.

The Amateurs introduced replacements Matt Stevens, brother of skipper Craig and Dan O'Hanlon from the bench and within five minutes of coming on O'Hanlon marked his debut with a try when he showed pace and strength to cross in the corner and make the score 18-10.

Rea replied with a penalty to bring the home side within five points of the visitors, who then suffered another setback when replacement Stevens was yellow carded, leaving them to play out the remaining minutes with 14 men.

However, the Amateurs showed good passion, commitment and determination to deservedly hold on and clinch only their second league win of the season.

The victory saw them climb above Veor and off bottom spot in the table ahead of Saturday's home match with Withycombe, which is likely to be played on the Mennaye Nurseries pitch (kick-off 2.15pm).

Pirates Amateurs: S Osborne, A Hall, B Eddy, A Snell, J Nicholas, R Brownfield, S Kent, B Noyce, C Goldsworthy, C Stevens (c), L Hollis, B Brittain, K Brownfield, D Toolan, M Nicholas. Reps (all used): D Ross-Nicholl, M Stevens, D O'Hanlon.

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters