Login Register

Rowe praises team effort after Hakes' 11-try romp

By The Cornishman  |  Posted: September 27, 2012

  • Doug Arnull sets off on an attack for Hayle against Falmouth on Saturday. CIoSP.

Comments (0)

Plymouth Barbarians 0, St Ives 72

ST IVES head coach Joff Rowe hailed his players after an 11-try romp at Plymouth Barbarians continued their unbeaten start to the season.

Centre Kyle Moyle, their summer signing from Cornish All Blacks, received special praise after scoring six of his side's tries at Bull Point, as did former Cornish Pirates fly half Ceiron Thomas, who notched up 22 points.

"I commend Ceiron for his contribution, and man of the moment Kyle, whose six tries made up nearly half of our points, but I must thank every player within the club for their efforts on Saturday," said a delighted Rowe.

"The type of rugby we produced is great to watch but can only be achieved with a joint effort from all the players and management alike.

"It was a very special day, not only a fantastic league victory away from home, but as a club we have turned a corner and the momentum is slowly gathering."

The Hakes are up into third place in the table, despite their five-point deduction carried over from last season, when they suffered their second successive relegation.

It was also a day when, for the first time in several seasons, St Ives were able to field a full-strength second team, who visited Bodmin for a league fixture, and a full-strength colts side, who had a home league game (report page 78).

St Ives were missing inside centre Tom Nicholas, due to work commitments, so Moyle switched from full back and Jacob Ninnes played in the number 15 shirt, while the Hakes handed a debut off the bench to former Redruth back rower Dean Rainey on his return to the club.

The hosts had only gone down 17-6 at second-place Saltash the previous week but found themselves trailing after two minutes to a 45-metre penalty by Thomas, who then caught the cheek of team-mate Louis Stevens with a stud at a ruck, which sidelined the lock for the rest of the game, and he was replaced by Ryan Trudgeon.

Moyle scored his first try after only eight minutes, and he outpaced the defence for his second two minutes later, after good work by Max Bodilly and Thomas, who converted both for a 17-0 lead.

Ninnes cut a fantastic line for try number three after 15 minutes, before Thomas crossed the whitewash himself after twisting and turning his way out of several tackles, and with two more conversions, St Ives led by 31 points after only 20 minutes.

Shortly before the break, St Ives scored two further tries through the impressive Moyle, for his hat-trick, and the experienced Neil Corin, with Thomas adding the extras to both for a 45-0 interval scoreline.

It was not all St Ives in the second half, with the Barbarians showing signs of what they could achieve if given the opportunity.

But St Ives got the scoreboard rolling again in the 59th minute, and another three tries by Moyle took him to an incredible six in the match, before he was substituted in the 65th minute, with Thomas slotting one more conversion to give St Ives a 62-0 advantage.

In the dying moments, St Ives kept up the pressure and added two more scores through enthusiastic young winger Josh Palmer and captain and hooker Ben Taylor to complete the rout.

St Ives can expect a much sterner test on Saturday when they entertain another unbeaten side, Saltash, at Alexandra Road (3pm).

St Ives: Ninnes, Palmer, Moyle (Jenkins 65), Sherris, Murray, Thomas, Bodilly, Wheeler, Taylor (capt), T Stevens, L Stevens (R Trudgeon 7), Barber, Corin, S Stevens (Rainey 62), S Perkin.

Scorers: St Ives: Tries: Moyle (6), Ninnes, Thomas, Corin, Palmer, Taylor; Cons: Thomas (7); Pen: Thomas.

Hayle 11, Falmouth 24

HAYLE were sent crashing to their first defeat of the season as Falmouth made it three wins out of four at the Memorial Park on Saturday.

The first half was a cagey affair which ended with Falmouth 7-6 up after an early try created by an overlap for flanker Tom Reeves to touch down, with Tom Spiller converting.

The Lions could only notch up two penalties from player coach Martin Strick in reply.

After the interval the visitors got on top and good work by the forwards saw captain, Symon Bailey and set up to full back Kieran Rodda who score wide out.

Hayle had a great chance when wing Talan Daniels should have scored, but for a text book tackle by Kieran Rodda.

Back came Falmouth and a skilful run from his own 22 by wing, Paul Saberton saw him beat four opponents to offload to Gareth Leaver, but he who just put a foot in touch in attempting to score.

But Leaver then made amends as he beat several defenders to give Saberton a deserved score.

Minutes later fly half Tom Spiller put the perfect chip over the defence and with a favourable bounce, Leaver had no difficulty this time in touching down under the posts.

With a lead of 18 points at 14-6, up the visiting Eagles still had some defending to do as Hayle then had their best spell of the match.

Forwards Rob Fitzpatrick, Tom David and Tom Reeves were all prominent in defence.

But from a five yard scrum Hayle did manage a consolation try by prop Doug Wood.

This Saturday Hayle are at fourth-placed Withycombe.

Read more from The Cornishman

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters