Login Register

Rickard at double as Saints stun Seagulls

By The Cornishman  |  Posted: January 16, 2014

  • SANDWICHED: St Buryan's Luke Waller is double teamed by Mousehole Reserves' Perryn Reynolds (left) and Steve Miller during Saturday's Cornwall Junior Cup fourth round tie at Trungle Parc. The Blues went on to win 3-1 with goals from Waller, Josh Findlay and Antony Roberts, with Ryan Ellis replying for the Seagulls. St Buryan now travel to Helston in the quarter finals on Saturday February 1. CIoSP.

Comments (0)

St Dennis 4, Mousehole 1

LEE Rickard scored twice as St Dennis claimed a memorable 4-1 victory over Mousehole to end the league leaders' record-breaking start to the season.

The Seagulls went into Saturday's division one west fixture on the back of 15 straight wins.

However, a brace from Rickard and goals from Scott Hill and Jacob Rowe ensured one of the shock results of the season at Boscawen Park.

After a bright start from the visitors in which skipper Mark Vercesi hit the post with a header from a Wayne Quinn free kick, the Saints took a 20th minute lead in spectacular fashion when Rickard's overhead kick flew into the top corner.

Mousehole drew level on the half hour when Wade Brown lobbed the ball over St Dennis keeper Brett Allen.

The home side regained the lead in the 55th minute when the Seagulls failed to clear a free kick and Rickard volleyed home Hill's cross.

Ten minutes later Hill got on the scoresheet himself when he converted Martin Sleeman's cross.

And Rowe completed a thrilling win for the Saints when he grabbed his side's fourth goal with a close range finish from Adam Gamble's cut back.

The Seagulls remain eight points clear at the top of the table with four games in hand on second placed Sticker, who were held to a 2-2 draw at home to Wadebridge Town.

This Saturday Mousehole will be keen to return to winning ways when they travel to Plymouth outfit Vospers Oak Villa (2.15pm).

Mousehole: D King; M Trevail, C Russell, W Quinn, O Barrett, M Moon, M Vercesi, S Stevens, N Pugliese, E Chapman, W Brown. Subs: K Turner (for Moon), S Winnan (for Trevail); J Simmonds (not used).

Elsewhere Penzance earned their first league point since November and ended a run of four successive defeats with a 2-2 draw at Perranporth.

All the goals came in the first half at Ponsmere Valley where Lewis Caspell gave the visitors a sixth minute lead from the penalty spot before the Pilchards drew level inside a minute with a goal from their new signing from Falmouth Town Kayne Trevaskis.

Jamie Payne restored the Magpies lead after 12 minutes, but the home side fought back to claim a share of the spoils when Adam Barnicoat scored five minutes before half-time.

This Saturday the Magpies are in Senior Cup action away to Cornwall Combination League title chasers St Day (2pm).

There was late drama at Burngullow Park as Wadebridge Town fought back from two goals down to earn a draw against Sticker.

Sticker were leading 2-0 following goals from Jason Rogers and Jake Street, before the hosts were reduced to ten men when Bradley Ralph was red carded after receiving his second yellow card.

Andy Avery's men looked on course to claim victory, before a goal in the 88th minute from Charlie Barnes gave the Bridgers a glimmer of hope.

And after Barnes was fouled in the box by Sticker keeper Ryan Holland in the fourth minute of stoppage time, the experienced Luke Hodge stepped up to earn Wadebridge a dramatic point.

Callington Town came from behind to beat Penryn Athletic 3-2 and move level on points with third-placed Helston Athletic.

Town trailed on 16 minutes when Dale Band fired home Sean Johnston's cross, before levelling after 22 minutes when Carlton Farnham netted at the far post.

And three minutes later Callington took the lead as Steve Kidd drove the ball home.

Mike Lucas then struck in the 55th minute to put Callington 3-1 up.

Kevin Lawrence pulled a goal back for Penryn, but Callington held on to go fourth in the table.

Dobwalls scored all of their goals in the first half as they enjoyed a 4-1 victory at home to a struggling Holsworthy side that slipped to the bottom of the table, while Bude Town moved off the foot of the table after a hard-fought 1-1 draw at Vospers Oak Villa.

TRURO City have started their search for a new second team manager following the resignation of Anthony Reynolds at the weekend.

Former Hayle boss Reynolds, who took over from Gary Pascoe in July, stepped down after Saturday's 5-1 defeat at Porthleven.

But Reynolds insists his decision to leave the club after six months in charge wasn't as a consequence of their defeat – but because of comments made by City chairman Peter Masters in the wake of their result at the weekend.

On Saturday evening Masters tweeted: "massive disappointment today with our second team #notgood"

Reynolds has become increasingly frustrated at comments made by the City chairman, particularly after defeats.

And it appears that Masters' tweet at the weekend was the final straw for Reynolds.

He said: "The only time I ever seem to hear from the chairman is when we've lost a game. I never hear anything when we've won.

"When I read his tweet on Saturday I thought 'that's it, I've had enough'.

"Tweeting comments like that towards your own manager is not to my liking.

"I'm disappointed to leave, but I don't really feel like I had any choice."

He added: "I have had a fantastic working relationship with the club, including first-team manager Steve Massey.

"I certainly don't have any gripes with Steve. He asked me if I would reconsider, but I'd already made my decision.

"There has just been too much involvement from the chairman at times.

"This was a big chance for me, at a great club, and I thought I was doing a decent job.

"It's a shame that it's come to this and I wish Truro all the success in the future."

Read more from The Cornishman

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters