THE centenary of Penzance Girls' Grammar School is set to be marked with an open day at the old school building next Saturday, September 28.
The granite building which housed the grammar school from September 1913 until it closed in 1980 is now called Nanjizal and forms part of the Penwith College campus.
The open day for all old girls takes place at the college, thanks to the generosity of college director Martin Tucker; and not just Nanjizal but all the college buildings – Zennor, Sennen, Porthcurno, Gwenver, Lamorna and even Treneere Manor – will be open.
Lists of those attending, displays of school photos, uniform and archive materials will be available all day in both the Nanjizal and Sennen buildings while the Porthcurno all-day refectory will also be open serving light refreshments, teas, coffees and drinks.
Already 280 old girls have booked their places for a celebratory buffet lunch in the Zennor building.
Margaret Woolcock, who has organised the open day, said: "The centenary is an opportunity to reflect on the old school which served the Penwith area for 70 years, its place in history and the contribution it made to the education of young women in the far west of Cornwall.
"Now encompassed in the campus of Penwith College, we cannot but be impressed and inspired by what the college has become and the opportunities it offers to the current generation of young people of west Cornwall.
"The open day will be an excellent opportunity to revisit old haunts, meet up with former school friends with plenty of time to chat, enjoy the view and a cup of tea or coffee."
There is plenty of parking, mobility accessible facilities and guides will be on hand.
All former pupils of the girls' grammar school are welcome – the college will be open from 10am to 4pm.
On arrival, sign in at the Sennen reception to collect a badge and programme for the day.