Login Register

Paul draw at St Austell to ensure top flight survival

By The Cornishman  |  Posted: September 12, 2013

Comments (0)

THE Jolly's Drinks ECB Cornwall Premier League had the most thrilling of finales on Saturday as both the title and relegation issues went down to the final hour of the season.

The title decider at Falmouth petered out as Werrington ground out the required draw, though in the end they were only 19 short of victory with seven wickets left.

The tension at the bottom, however, went to the final ball.

Redruth's last pair held out for over four overs to earn a draw at home to Grampound Road.

At the same time St Austell's game with Paul was tantalisingly poised when bad light stopped play at Wheal Eliza.

The home side's last pair required 23, with over ten overs to get them. Had play continued, and the wicket fallen, St Austell would have been bottom instead of Redruth – it was as close as that.

The Callington v Truro and St Just v Camborne games were both cancelled due to wet grounds. Callington finished third after gaining more points in the two games against St Just, who are fourth and Truro fifth.

Camborne ended seventh and 24 points from danger.

The League has issued the usual cautionary statement reminding clubs that: "All promotions and relegations are subject to any current administrative and disciplinary actions having been concluded and satisfactory reports received from the Cornwall Association of Cricket Groundsmen for teams in line to be promoted."

Paul 173, St Austell 151-9 Match abandoned

ST AUSTELL and Paul were both breathing sighs of relief following a dramatic day at Wheal Eliza.

At 112 for eight Paul were in danger of a big defeat which, depending on the result at Redruth, could have seen them in big danger of making the drop.

Crucially tailender Craig Osborne top scored with 33 to get them to 173. Earlier Kieran Butler made 36, Rhys Brownfield 26no and Andrew and Kelvin Snell both got twenties. Joe Parkinson took four for 40 and Mike Bone three for 51.

St Austell's Taylor Williams (33) and Mike Bone (34) put on 73 for the first wicket. From 92-1 however they collapsed to 107-7 with the five middle order batsmen mustering just 14 between them.

Skipper Gary Bone was the saviour, making 14 not out with last man Parkinson (3no) when the umpires ended proceedings. Kelvin Snell took five for 41. Spinner Neil Pengelly completed his 16 overs taking two for 33.

Paul looked doomed at the halfway mark of the season, losing seven of the first nine, but three wins turned their season around.

Falmouth 164, Werrington 147-3

IT was all hands to the pumps at Trescobeas, literally, as the Fire Brigade helped to get the ground playable after torrential downpours in the previous 24 hours.

A superb effort saw play get away on time. After losing what proved a vital toss Falmouth lost Richard Kellow and Matt Goldsbury with only ten on the board.

Antony Angove made 24 but at 120 for four, Stefan Churcher was caught off Ian Worsnip, after hitting an excellent 60.

Skipper Adrian Noott made 28 but was one of the last five wickets to fall for 18 runs, as the innings subsided with 23 balls unused. Chris Rees and Worsnip took three wickets each.

Werrington, knowing a 75% losing draw would be enough to take the title, slipped to a precarious 37-3 with Antony Angove taking two wickets.

However Alex Smeeth (74no) and Adam Hodgson (17no) put on an unbroken 110 for the fourth wicket, in front of a big crowd, to break Falmouth hearts.

Grampound Road 181-9, Redruth 141-9

A DELAYED start saw the game reduced to 98 overs at Trewirgie. Tom Hughes hit 24 but at 65 for three, in the 23rd over, there was work to do for the visitors.

Skipper Chris Roberts made 41 and Alex May 34, to see the 150 up before the fall of the fifth wicket. Matt South contributed 27, which included two sixes in three balls.

Four late wickets fell for eight runs with Neil Ivamy taking four for 26. Redruth looked well set as Nigel Hambly (29) and Steve Kevern (47) saw them to 74 before three wickets fell without a run added.

Mark Jenkin and Christian Purchase failed to score. Jack Thomas (21no) and Aaron Wallace (9no) put on an unbroken 23 for the last wicket to hold on for the draw.

Had St Austell lost, it would had been enough to survive by a point. Ben Rowse took four for 29 and Alex May three for 46. The Road have finished in sixth spot, one better than the last two years.

Read more from The Cornishman

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters