Login Register


By The Cornishman  |  Posted: January 30, 2014

Comments (0)

Frank Herbert Earley, Hayle

THE FUNERAL service has taken place at Treswithian Downs Crematorium, Camborne, for Mr Frank Herbert Earley, who has died at St Julia's Hospice, Hayle, at the age of 88.

The service was conducted by the Reverend Jon Bellfield.

Frank was born in 1925, the youngest of four boys, into a farming family in the small village of Worton, near Devizes, Wiltshire.

Once old enough the brothers started their working lives on the family farm and Frank was no exception; it was here that he developed his lifelong ethic of hard work.

In those days leisure times meant riding and tinkering with his motorbikes and trips to the cinema in nearby Devizes, where he met Joan.

They married in the bitterly cold and snowy February of 1947.

Carol was born in the summer of the following year.

Through the war years, farming and food production became hugely important and it was while working alone in the fields one day that he spotted debris falling from the sky; then a parachute appeared, and eventually a German airman was found suspended from the branches of a nearby tree.

He helped the young German to the ground and once the authorities had been informed he was put to work on the land.

Deciding on a change of direction, in 1955 Frank took on a small post office and village stores.

He also supplemented this with a taxi service.

It was back in the days on the farm that he taught himself the many skills that he would draw on throughout his working life and there was never a practical task that got the better of him.

From fixing the various equipment and vehicles on the farm to repairing car engines and years later changing gearboxes on the milk floats, when he had a dairy business in Dorset, no task daunted him.

Once he even converted a small furniture van into a camper complete with kitchen sink and bathroom and set off with Joan on a tour of Scotland.

Their move to Dorset brought about the opportunity for Carol and Patrick to meet and eventually they married in 1968.

A short time later Frank became a grandad, when Sean and then Marsha were born.

After a wait of many years he became a proud great grandad to Rosa and Megan, whom he referred to as his little angels.

His married life of 66 years with Joan saw them living in several places in Wiltshire before a move to Dorset in 1958 saw them running a dairy and then a shop in Bournemouth.

Later he took a job for the NHS driving a large lorry containing a mobile X-ray unit around the towns along the south coast.

Finally, upon retirement, he moved, with Joan, to Cornwall in 1985.

He really was a man of many talents.

He loved his time in Cornwall.

He and Joan enjoyed walking and exploring the coast and countryside.

In recent times he continued with the many practical tasks he enjoyed and became a devoted carer to Joan up until he became seriously ill in August last year.

He will be greatly missed by all who had the pleasure of knowing him.

Donations were for Cornwall Hospice Care (St Julia's) and total £205.

Family mourners were: Mrs DJ Earley, wife; Mrs C McDonald, daughter; Mr P McDonald, son-in-law; Mrs M Miles, granddaughter; Mr D Miles; Megan Miles, great granddaughter; Mr S McDonald, grandson; Mrs J McDonald; Rosa McDonald, great granddaughter; Mr S Dawson.

Funeral director: Vincent Young of Colin Matthews Funerals, Camborne.

Read more from The Cornishman

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters