Login Register

Moyle boosts try tally as Hakes ease to big win

By The Cornishman  |  Posted: November 01, 2012

Comments (0)

Wessex 0, St Ives 55

KYLE Moyle took his season's try tally in all competitions to 21 as he scored a hat-trick in St Ives' emphatic victory at Exeter-based Wessex, writes Nigel Walrond.

It is nine wins in nine matches for the Hakes now, but they still trail divisional leaders Teignmouth by one point after their points deduction carried over from last season.

St Ives head coach Joff Rowe said: "I am delighted with 55 points and to not give a point away was pleasing, but what must be recognised is that we only performed for half an hour and got into a dogfight, which did not help our performance.

"I have spoken to the players and have challenged them to put that issue right in time for the home match against Crediton on Saturday."

The Hakes were forced into a couple of changes due to work commitments and injuries, with Mark Sherris replacing Tom Nicholas at centre, and South African centre/wing Steve Moorland making his debut off the replacements' bench.

St Ives led after only four minutes, with Neil Corin stealing Wessex line-out ball and setting up a maul, which was driven over for a try by loose-head prop Ben Wheeler.

It was swiftly followed by full back Moyle's first touchdown of the game, and another from lock Richard Humphries following an initial good break by centre Ian Veal.

Former Cornish Pirates fly-half Ceiron Thomas converted, and the Hakes led by 17 points in as many minutes.

Wessex were struggling in all departments, and they conceded three more tries before the break as the hard work of the St Ives forwards and flair of the back line provided further evidence of the influence Thomas and Rob Elloway are having on St Ives' playing style this season.

Veal, winger Rob Rowe and Moyle again, all scored, with Thomas converting one to make it 34-0 at the interval, despite St Ives playing against the wind in the first half.

Wessex started the second period intending to stop the rampant Hakes building a massive score, but five minutes after the restart, Moyle completed his treble, with Thomas adding the extras.

That was Moyle's last contribution as he left the field with a hand injury and was replaced by Tom Murray, with Jacob Ninnes switching to full back.

Wessex began to cause St Ives problems, with their scrum growing stronger and their attacking play building pressure on the Hakes, whose own play deteriorated.

Despite this, flanker Ryan Trudgeon broke through from a line-out in the 49th minute to run 30 metres and touch down under the posts, leaving Thomas with a simple conversion to make it 48-0.

With half an hour left, the Hakes mounted an attack from a poor clearance kick, and quick hands and excellent vision resulted in the try of the game for skipper and hooker Ben Taylor, with Thomas slotting the conversion.

In the final quarter, St Ives lost Corin and Humphries to the sin-bin for off-the-ball incidents, one of which resulted in Wessex prop Lee Mason getting a red card for an alleged punch.

St Ives' seconds are at home to Saltash on Saturday.

St Ives: Moyle, R Rowe, Sherris, Veal, Ninnes, Thomas, Palmer, Wheeler, Taylor (capt), Jenkins, Barber, Humphries, R Trudgeon, S Stevens, Corin. Reps used: T Stevens, Murray, Moorland.

Scorers: St Ives: Wheeler, Moyle (3), Humphries, Veal, R Rowe, Trudgeon, Taylor; Cons: Thomas (5).

Read more from The Cornishman

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters