Login Register

Mousehole are top of the tree at Christmas

By The Cornishman  |  Posted: December 19, 2013

Comments (1)

Dobwalls 1, Mousehole 4

MOUSEHOLE bounced back from their surprise Cornwall Senior Cup defeat at Sticker the previous week in fine style as they made it 14 straight league wins with this deserved victory at Lantoom Park on Saturday.

In difficult blustery conditions the home side were first to settle and with the strong wind at their backs, took a 10th minute lead when full back Matt Laity's back pass unfortunately wrong-footed stand-in keeper Craig Woodard.

The 40-year-old had been lured out of retirement after regular custodian Dexter King was ruled out through illness.

The Seagulls gradually gained a foothold in the game however and equalised on the half hour when Wade Brown reacted quickest to a loose ball following a corner to drill the ball through a crowded goalmouth into the net.

The second half was dominated by the visitors, who were denied by several fine saves from home keeper Josh Gilbert, but he was powerless to prevent the Seagulls taking the lead on 55 minutes. Mousehole's veteran assistant manager Matt Shiels cooly slotted the ball home from the penalty spot after the impressive Steve Burt had been upended in the box.

Gilbert continued to produce more heroics between the posts, but he was powerless to prevent Martyn Moon increasing Mousehole's lead after 70 minutes when he bundled the ball home at the back post.

And the home keeper was again left cursing his luck when he saved well from a fine Mark Vercesi free kick, only for Brown to follow up and grab his second goal of the game five minutes from time.

The Seagulls are without a fixture this weekend, with their next match at home to neighbours Penzance in a Boxing Day derby at Trungle Parc (11am).

Mousehole: C Woodard; M Laity, W Quinn, C Russell, O Barrett, M Vercesi (c), S Burt, S Stevens, N Pugliese, M Shiels, W Brown. Subs: M Moon (for Russell); J Simmonds, D Magee (not used).

Penzance 1, Truro City 6

THE Magpies were made to pay for a host of missed first half chances as Truro City swept to a fourth consecutive league victory, scoring four times in a dramatic final 20 minute spell at Penlee Park.

The home side created the better first half opportunities with Jamie Payne, Lewis Caspell, Callum George and the Andrew brothers, Liam and Ryan all forcing saves from City keeper Barrie-John Wyatt.

But it was the visitors who took the lead after 25 minutes, courtesy of a superb opportunist strike by Jared Sims from just outside the box which found the bottom right corner.

Penzance came close to an equaliser on the stroke of half-time when George's effort came back off an upright, but playing with the strong wind at their backs in the second half, Truro soon became much more of a threat and set about putting the home defence under sustained pressure.

Substitute Adam Williams doubled City's lead only moments after comimg off the bench with a sweet volley into the bottom left corner after 62 minutes, and seven minutes later it was 3-0 when Tom Langford curled a sublime effort into the opposite corner following good work on the left flank from Ashley Smeeth.

With the floodgates well and truly open, veteran marksman Andy Bowker added a fourth, latching on to Wyatt's long punt up-field with a neat lob over the advancing Williams 19 minutes from time.

And although Payne pulled a goal back for the Magpies in the last minute, volleying home the rebound after Caspell's shot came back off the post, City scored again within seconds of the restart through Smeeth, before Bowker completed the scoring with his second deep into stoppage time.

The Magpies travel to bottom of the table Foxhole Stars on Saturday (2.15) while Truro will be looking to continue their recent good run of form when they entertain Porthleven at Treyew Road.

Penzance: P Williams; B Gadson, A Palmer, J Street, D Mooney, R Andrew, C George, L Andrew, J Payne, T Putterill, L Caspell. Subs: H Corin (for Palmer), B Wills, W Southcott (not used).

Elsewhere on Saturday, Sticker were brought back down to earth with a bang following the previous week's Cornwall Senior Cup win over Mousehole as they slipped to a disappointing 3-1 defeat at home to seventh-placed Helston Athletic.

They trailed to goals from Danny Ford and Mark Goldsworthy, and it got worse for the hosts when Sam Kenny was sent off following a second yellow card.

Goldsworthy then scored from the penalty spot in the 63rd minute to put Helston 3-0 up.

Sticker pulled a goal back through Jason Rogers, before they had a second player sent off as Matt Eddy was red carded.

Foxhole Stars took the lead at Penryn Athletic, before eventually succumbing to a 3-1 defeat at Kernick.

Aiden Killen had given the Foxes a sixth minute lead, before Penryn drew level through Gregg Hobbs in the 22nd minute.

And with just a minute of the second half played Penryn scored a second through the impressive Hobbs.

The striker then claimed his hat-trick in the 72nd minute to end any hopes Foxhole had of getting back into the game to move up to third in the table.

Meanwhile Bude Town claimed a hard-earned 2-2 draw at home to Perranporth to end a run of four straight defeats.

New signing Danny Carne gave the Pilchards a 30th minute lead on his debut, before Bude levelled ten minutes later through Dan Starkey, who finished well from the edge of the box.

And after good work by Starkey and Tom Statton, Adam Smith put Bude in front in the 60th minute.

However, the hosts were denied what have been only their third league win of the season when Sam Mansfield fired home in the 75th minute.

Read more from The Cornishman

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters
  • DonnaCCrum  |  December 20 2013, 4:53AM

    my neighbor's mom makes $72/hour on the internet. She has been out of a job for 7 months but last month her pay check was $16621 just working on the internet for a few hours. look at this now➨➨➨➨➨➨➨➨➨➨➨➨ WWW.JOBS76.ℭom