Login Register

Magpies point-ing in right direction

By The Cornishman  |  Posted: November 22, 2012

Comments (0)

Bovey Tracey 2, Penzance 2

PREMIER Division basement boys Penzance finally picked up their first league point of the season on Saturday, but were disappointed not to make the long trip home with all three, having led 2-0 going into the final 20 minutes at Mill Marsh Park.

The result proved the final straw for Moorlanders boss Roger Bonaparte, who tendered his resignation after the final whistle.

An entertaining end to end encounter saw Bovey full back Hayden Roe and player-boss Bonaparte both go close for the hosts in a goal-less first half, before the Magpies broke the deadlock within a minute of the restart with a fine close-range finish from teenage winger Harry Corin.

The goal seemed to settle the youthful visitors who deservedly doubled their advantage in the 65th minute when a neat attacking build-up culminated in striker Joel McWilliams netting his first league goal for the club from 12 yards.


The home side responded by brining on substitute Lewis Plackett and moving central defender Ben Head into attack and the bold move paid almost immediate dividends in the 71st minute, when Head's shot from the edge of the box arrowed into the top cornner of the net, giving Magpies keeper Paul Williams no chance.

With the Magpies forced onto the back foot, the home side sensed an opportunity for an equaliser which eventually arrived four minutes from time when the increasingly influential Plackett brilliantly dribbled his way past two Penzance defenders before planting a shot into the corner of the net to rescue his side a point and dent the luckless visitors a first league victory of the season.

The Magpies, who were due to play Torpoint Athletic at home last night (Wednesday), make the long trip into rural north Devon to play Witheridge this Saturday (3pm).

Elsewhere on Saturday, Mark Vercesi returned to haunt his former club, but his first half opener at Mount Wise was not enough to hand Newquay all three points as Falmouth Town fought back from two goals down to earn a share of the spoils.

Read more from The Cornishman

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters