Login Register

Ludgvan's faint title hopes evaporate after shock defeat

By The Cornishman  |  Posted: May 09, 2013

Comments (0)


LUDGVAN'S already slim title hopes were finally extinguished following Saturday's surprise 5-3 defeat at Mullion, where the Hurlers suffered only their second reverse in their last 16 league matches and one which ended their run of six successive victories.

Mullion's leading goal scorer Alan Thomas continued his rich vein of form with a hat-trick for the home side, whose other goals came from Ben Wormington and Rob Carey.

Ludgvan, who replied through Dan Magee, Tom Patrick and an own goal, remain third in the table and in a three horse race for runners-up spot along with St Day, Perranwell and Pendeen.

League leaders Illogan's 7-0 win at lowly Hayle meant that they needed only to avoid defeat in their home match with St Day on Tuesday night to secure the title.

Leading scorer Luke Wort helped himself to a hat-trick for the champions elect, with others coming from Simon Ellis (2), Dominic Pullen and Dan Bowman.

The Jolly's Combination League management committee acted quickly to punish Newquay Reserves after the Peppermints failed to fulfil Saturday's match at Pendeen, as they were unable to raise a side. The three points were duly awarded to Pendeen, who nevertheless slipped to fourth place behind Perranwell on goal difference, while Newquay, who remain deep in relegation trouble at the foot of the table were deduced three points and were fined £200.

Perranwell themselves eased to a 4-0 win at Troon thanks to a hat-trick from Matt Rose and a Luke Brabyn goal, while St Ives were held to a 2-2 draw at Porthleven, despite a goal from 16-year-old Charlie Eddy and one from Tom Morris. Porthleven's goals came from Dan Greet and Matt Dawson.

Penryn Athletic were 5-0 winners at home to already relegated Holmans, with goals from Ryan Reeve (2), Matt McIlroy, Chris Mulroy and Matt Roberts. There was a surprise result, however at Lafrowda Parc, where St Just suffered a first defeat in seven games when they went down 1-0 at home to struggling Falmouth Town, who themselves recorded only their second win in 12 games thanks to Joe Perrin's decisive goal. However, St Just were left scratching their heads as to how they managed to lose a game they dominated throughout, an being denied by the woodwork and several outstanding saves from the Falmouth keeper.

The day's other game saw honours even at the airbase where RNAS Culdrose and Goonhavern played out an entertaining 3-3 draw, with Craig Lamber, David McPhee and Scott Higgins all on target for the home side, with Goonhavern replying through Paul Robertson (2) and Andy Morris.

St Agnes will play either Falmouth Athletic or Penryn in the Supplementary Cup final after a 3-1 extra-time win over Wendron in Sunday's first semi final at Troon's Grouter Park. Luke Osborne, Nick Perry and Justin Andrew scored the goal for Aggie, with Ryan Tresidder netting Wendron's consolation.

HAYLE'S fourth team won the Trelawny League's Jubilee Cup after beating the West Cornwall students 4-3 after extra-time in Sunday's final at Illogan.

Trailing 3-2 in the dying moments West Cornwall's Shaun Brooks equalised with the last kick of the game to force extra-time, and with the match heading for a penalty shoot out Hayle netted a last minute winner to take the cup back to Trevassack Park.

Hayle's goals came from Barnaby Dagger, Phillip Hurrell, Danny Richards and Ryan Turner, with Luke Dennison-Reed and Robbie Condie the other scorers for the Cornwall College students.

Hayle: D Birch, B Dagger, B Foster, P Hurrell, J Irwin, J James, D Richards, T Richards, C Shears, J Stevens, R Turner. Subs: D McCarthy, A Northall, J Whitcombe.

Read more from The Cornishman

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters