Login Register

Leaders prove too strong for Amateurs

By The Cornishman  |  Posted: September 27, 2012

Comments (0)

Pirates Amateurs 15, Teignmouth 29

LEAGUE leaders Teignmouth had victory all but sewn up early in the first half after racing into a 24-0 lead in as many minutes at the Mennaye Field on Saturday.

Luke Pattison, Jamie Gray and Josh Davis all crossed for tries, with two converted by the boot of Will Luscombe as the Amateurs had no answer to a storming start by the early season pace setters, who were afforded far too much time and space to dictate the play.

However, the home side regrouped and scored the best try of the match three minutes before half-time when Matt O'Leary and Harry Hudson combined to create an opening for Dave Law who sprinted in from 25 yards to score, with Rhys Brownfield adding the extras.

The Amateurs produced a vastly improved second half performance and scored another superb try when scrum half Cas James made an excellent break and off-loaded to Josh Oliver who went over in the corner. The conversion attempt was wide.

Brownfield made amends with a penalty that reduced the arrears to 24-15, before Teignmouth completed the scoring with a catch and drive try by Colin Aldworth.

Despite the defeat there were some encouraging performances from the youthful Amateurs side, with Danny Toolan outstanding and Hudson hardly missing a tackle.

This Saturday the Amateurs travel to Tiverton (3pm).

Pirates Amateurs: R Forrester, J Oliver, R Brownfield, B Eddy, H Hudson, W Banks, C James, D Toolan, R Stanley, M Nicholas, T Edwards, D Law, C Murley, S Heath (c), L Edwards. Reps (all used): G Sullivan, M O'Leary, C Osborne.

The Amateurs 2nd XV won 55-15 at Falmouth 2nds, with Jonny Badcock bagging a hat-trick in an impressive team display.

Veteran Dave Lawrance rolled back the years with some rampaging runs, while Chris Butler was outstanding in an unaccustomed full back role.

This Saturday the 2nds are at home to Liskeard-Looe (3pm on the Mennaye Nurseries pitch).


Helston 18 St Just 8

ST JUST suffered a narrow defeat in a thrilling first round tie that saw the lead change several times.

The visitors took an early after Helston strayed offside in midfield. However, Helston roared back into the St Just 22 metre area and a slick blindside move saw Robin Cookson crash over in the corner to give Helston the lead.

In the run up to half-time St Just worked an overlap wide out to create an unconverted try which made the half-time score 8-5 to the visitors.

With the wind at their backs Helston levelled with a well taken penalty by full back Calvin Warwick, who then gave the home side the lead with another penalty in front of the posts.

Helston's Fijian winger Tubu then clattered into the St Just midfield and when the ball was spun wide Warwick scored under the posts and the conversion completed the scoring.

St Just start their Cornwall League campaign on Saturday at home to St Agnes.

Read more from The Cornishman

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters