Login Register

Hakes turn on the style in seven-try home romp

By The Cornishman  |  Posted: October 25, 2012

  • Pirates Amateurs' Danny Toolan looks for support from skipper Sam Heath as he is tackled by Falmouth's Phillip Burnard in Saturday's match at the Mennaye Field. CIoSP.

Comments (0)

St Ives 50, Tiverton 8

ST IVES stretched their winning run to eight games with a 50-point demolition of fourth-spot Tiverton.

They ran in seven tries, but still trail leaders Teignmouth by one point in the table as they head to Exeter on Saturday to take on struggling Wessex (3pm).

St Ives head coach Joff Rowe was very pleased with how his side maintained their impressive start to the season.

"I am delighted with the result and the way we performed," he said.

"We continue to play some really exciting, open rugby and I am really pleased for the club and the supporters.

"Our defence has been the foundation of our performances of late and I am delighted that nothing has changed in that department, while Josh Palmer played exceptionally well at scrum half.

"Both first and second teams got great wins on Saturday."

St Ives and Tiverton were both relegated from Western Counties West last season, but there the similarity stopped on Saturday as the Hakes ran riot, from the minute former Cornish Pirates fly half Ceiron Thomas had kicked them into a first-minute lead with a penalty.

St Ives, who welcomed winger Raph Baragwanath back into the side for the ill Rob Rowe, with Palmer switching to scrum half following the injury to Max Bodilly, added a try five minutes later when full back Jacob Ninnes scored, with Thomas converting.

However, Tiverton were determined not to let St Ives have it all their own way and notched an 11th-minute try through Richard Tucker.

Thomas kept the visitors pinned back in their own half with some excellent positional kicking, and in the 21st minute, prop Ben Jenkins crashed over for a try, again improved by Thomas, for a 17-5 lead.

They added another five minutes later, when an excellent run down the right wing by Baragwanath saw him offload inside to Tom Nicholas to provide the touchdown, converted by Thomas.

Tiverton missed a penalty, and St Ives also lost Baragwanath to the sin-bin five minutes before the break for a clumsy challenge in midfield, but they still led 24-5 at half-time.

Tiverton opened the second-half scoring with a Jimmy Atkins penalty, but they never troubled the scoreboard again, while St Ives continued to pile up the points.

Captain Ben Taylor took a quick tap penalty and made excellent ground, and when the ball was quickly recycled after he was stopped, Ninnes went in for his second try of the game.

No.8 Neil Corin set up the next score when he made a strong run from the base of a scrum and fed Baragwanath, who raced in for try number five, with Thomas slotting the extras.

St Ives' appetite for more points as the game drew to a close did not fade, and two more scores followed before the end, with Corin grabbing the first and centre Kyle Moyle the second, after a clever tap through by Thomas, for his 17th touchdown of the season.

Thomas converted both to give himself a personal 15-point haul.

St Ives: Ninnes, Baragwanath, Moyle, Nicholas, Murray (A Rowe), Thomas, Palmer, Wheeler, Taylor (capt), Jenkins (Perkin), Barber, Humphries, R Trudgeon (L Stevens), S Stevens, Corin.


St Ives: Tries: Ninnes (2), Jenkins, Nicholas, Baragwanath, Corin, Moyle; Cons: Thomas (6); Pen: Thomas.

Tiverton: Try: Tucker; Pen: Atkins.

OPMs 29, Hayle 22

HAYLE were unable to build on their impressive home win over Newquay the previous weekend as they slipped to a disappointing defeat in Plymouth on Saturday.

The result saw the Lions slip to fourth from bottom in the table ahead of Saturday's eagerly awaited home derby with the Pirates Amateurs at the Memorial Park (kick-off 3pm).

OPMS opened the scoring with a try from Chris Harmer with full back Martin Skelly adding two more before the break.

Gavin Rea then kicked two conversions to increase the home side's lead.

However, Hayle, with only one league win to their name in their last five matches, kept themselves in touch with the hosts thanks to four penalties from Martin Strick, to keep the Lions within a converted try of the Plymouth outfit.

But the introduction of prop Keni West for his debut in the second half swung the match firmly in OPM's favour. And when Matt Naylor went over for the try which clinched his side the bonus point, Rea added the conversion and another penalty.

Rob Goodman scored Hayle's only try of the game and with Strick adding another five points with the boot they at least had the consolation of making the long trip home with a bonus points for their efforts.


OPMs: Tries: Skelly (2), Harmer, Naylor; cons: Rea (3); pen: Rea.

Hayle: Try: Goodman; con: Strick; pens: Strick (5).

Read more from The Cornishman

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters