Login Register

Generous dad 'lived each day to the full'

By The Cornishman  |  Posted: December 13, 2012

Comments (0)

A YOUNG father, who once told work colleagues he had won the lottery the day he met his wife, died suddenly after suffering a brain haemorrhage as he prepared to take his three-year-old son to nursery.

Cornish Pirates' fan and proud husband and father Jamie Price-Jones complained of a headache last Thursday morning before collapsing at his home in Pendeen.

The 38-year-old insurance broker, who had no underlying medical condition, was taken by air ambulance to Derriford hospital in Plymouth but tragically paramedics were unable to save him.

Following Jamie's death, just weeks before Christmas, his family have been overwhelmed by the response from friends and wellwishers, all shocked by the devastating news.

A half-time message read out during the Pirates' last home match against Swansea at the weekend paid tribute to the rugby fanatic who was planning to attend the game.

And a Just Giving account started by Jamie's younger brother, Richard, to raise money for Cornwall Air Ambulance, who airlifted him to hospital, has already raised £275.

His wife Natasha, with whom he had a young son, Arthur, said: "He was generous to a fault, an amazing father and husband.

"One of the last things he wrote on his Twitter account was 'my son has a part in nativity! Bursting with pride'. It sums him up.

"He made so many friends from different parts of his life; he was so friendly and unbelievably intelligent. If I could take anything from this it's living each day to the full."

Jamie was born on December 30, 1973 in Harrow, and spent his childhood in Warwickshire and Oman.

A passionate ancient historian, he studied medieval archaeology at University College, London, and loved living in West Penwith, where he loved to visit places such as Chun Quoit with Arthur.

A keen musician, he played guitar and ukulele; he also loved reading, poetry and real ale and was a great film buff.

An enthusiastic Pirates' fan, he created two popular hashtags, #cptweeters and #fortressmennaye on Twitter. He also loved visiting the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff to watch his father's native Wales play.

He met Natasha in 2003 at a barbecue at his parent's house, and they were married a year later. The pair had been living in Pendeen for the last two years.

He worked at Towergate Insurance on Chapel Street in Penzance. His work colleagues paid tribute to a conscientious team member and hardworking colleague.

"We've not only lost a colleague but a very good friend," they said.

Jamie leaves behind Natasha, son Arthur, parents Clive and Chris, who live in Goldsithney, and brother and sister, Richard and Kirstie.

His mother thanked people for their support and said: "Jamie wanted to show Arthur the world but now we'll all have to do that for him."

Jamie's funeral takes place on Tuesday, December 18 at Treswithian Downs Crematorium in Camborne at 11am.

Read more from The Cornishman

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters