Login Register

Duchy's Trophy hopes evaporate

By The Cornishman  |  Posted: June 21, 2012

Comments (0)

Cumberland 224-7, Cornwall 105

CORNWALL were well beaten by Cumberland by 119 runs at Truro on Sunday in the MCCA Trophy quarter-final.

Conditions were still damp at Boscawen Park after Saturday's rain and Tom Sharp had no hesitation in bowling on winning the toss.

Sam Hockin struck the first blow to get rid of Jonathan Miles for 14, in the seventh over, with Matt Robins holding the catch at mid wicket.

Keith Parsons bowled Ryan Brown and when former Durham pro Gary Pratt was dismissed by Andrew Libby at 66 for three in the 24th over, the signs were looking good. Twenty-one-year-old opener Josh Tolley, who has been playing for Derbyshire seconds, was batting well at the other end, however.

Alex Atkinson (24) added 58 for the fourth wicket before being bowled by Dan Davis. James Smith played on to Sharp for two at 137 for five with ten overs remaining.

The visitors accelerated well in the closing overs. Chris Thompson fired 38 off 21 balls with a six and five fours. Tolley increased the tempo as well in a 66 run, sixth wicket stand in only seven overs.


Tolley went on to reach a deserved unbeaten century, making 100 off 157 balls. He was the leading run scorer in the National Village Cup last year, helping his side, Woodhouses, win the Lord's final.

Cornwall used seven bowlers with six getting wickets. Alex Smeeth took two for 50 from ten overs. Keith Parsons came on first change, sending down six overs for 12 runs.

A further two overs at the death cost 14 runs. The spinners also did well. Andrew Libby conceded only 20 runs and Sharp 26 runs from their ten over spells.

In the conditions a target of 225 was more than enough and things got off to a bad start when Matt Robins was bowled in the second over for a single.

Richard Gleeson and Chris Williams bowled tight opening spells. David Roberts (19) and Dan Davis (12) took the total to 34 but they were contained to two runs per over before both went in quick succession.

The contest was effectively decided when three wickets fell in as many overs for two runs.

Keith Parsons was lbw to Thompson for eight. Chris Hunkin and Taylor Williams followed and at 58 for six off 26 overs that was just about that.

The injured Sharp belatedly came in at number eight to make 12 and Alex Smeeth and Andrew Libby got double figures to see the hundred up.

Spinner Toby Bulcock took four for 32 and Thompson three for 15 as Cumberland made an early start on the long trek home. They face a trip to Bournemouth for the semi-final as Dorset beat Cheshire by 55 runs, while Wiltshire, who narrowly beat Devon, face Staffordshire at Leek.

Cornwall have little time for reflection, with the eagerly anticipated Championship game with current champions Devon at St Austell on Sunday (11am start).

Read more from The Cornishman

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters