Login Register

Cricket: Rain frustrates St Just but Paul move off the bottom

By The Cornishman  |  Posted: August 15, 2013

  • TOUCH OF CLASS: St Just batsman Gary Thomas plays an elegant shot in his innings of 53not out in the rain affected Cornwall Premier League game at Redruth on Saturday. Geoff Hichens.

Comments (0)

ON an eventful, showery day, Werrington returned to the top of the table at the expense of Falmouth, while St Austell's fifth straight defeat saw them hit the bottom for the first time this season.

The higher tier games begin half an hour earlier for the rest of the season. Premier League games get under way at 12.30pm and County One at 1pm. Divisions 2-4 remain at 1.30pm and Divisions 5-7 at 2pm.

St Just 164-7, Redruth 36-0 RSP

IT was an on off day showery day at Trewirgie and, following the fourth interruption, play was eventually called off just before 7pm. Both sides took nine points.

St Just's remote hopes of a late title bid must surely be over but Redruth's survival hopes received another boost, with the cushion now 23 points with five games to play.

The St Just innings had been reduced to a maximum of 44 then 38 overs. It was Gary Thomas who played the major innings. Coming in at 22 for two, he hit an unbeaten 53 off 60 balls.

Kiwi Iain McPeake, who this week received the news he's been awarded a professional contract at home with Wellington Firebirds, hit a lively 29, scoring off each of his last ten balls before being caught off former Penzance and Goldsithney spinner Darren Shorland.

Neil Ivamy took two for 44. Nigel Hambly was 19 not out and Harry Bolland 15 not out when rain ended play after ten overs.

Camborne 138, Paul 140-6

PAUL were 13 points adrift at the halfway mark of the season but over the last four games they have given themselves a real chance of survival. They now lead bottom side St Austell by 11 points and, in what could be an enthralling finale, face St Austell on the last day at Wheal Eliza.

Simon Hosking (17) and Malcolm Pooley (20) helped Camborne along to a promising 84 for two but the innings fell away to 138 all out in the 46th over. Kieran Butler (3-11) and Callum Donnelly (3-18) were among the wickets while Neil Pengelly sent down seven overs for only ten runs.

In reply, Paul lost half their side for 75 but Kelvin Snell took them within range of victory with 49. He shared a sixth wicket stand of 46 with young Donnelly, who went on to win the game with 29 not out.

James Rowe and Dan Stephens took two wickets apiece.

Werrington 238-7dec, St Austell 127

THIS result had ramifications at both ends of the table. The maximum points win for Werrington saw the North Cornwall club return to the top of the table. St Austell, however, are now 11 points adrift of Paul at the bottom.

In a game reduced to 96 overs, Werrington lost Nick Lawson (21) and Alex Smeeth in quick succession at 73 for two. Nick Ward (77) and Ben Smeeth (61) added 77 for the third wicket. Smeeth and Adam Hodgson (32no) got the total to 232 before four wickets fell for six runs with the declaration coming at 238 for seven off 46 overs. Steve Bone took three for 44.

St Austell lost Sean Hooper and Craig Richards for ducks but Mike Bone (41) and Matt Ellison (23) took the total to 54 before the innings collapsed. After being 103 for nine, last man Matt Lloyd got 22 for a second batting point. Chris Rees took seven for 43 off 13.3 overs in their 127 all out.

Callington 183-8, Falmouth 159

FALMOUTH's title hopes suffered a setback with this 24-run home defeat at Trescobeas.

All had looked promising early on for the home side. Justin Stephens made an early breakthrough, removing danger man Matt Robins. George Popperwell and Guy Leathley both took a brace as the visitors struggled to 89 for five. The innings was rescued by Nick Parker who made 52 including a six and seven fours. Leathley ended with four for 35 as the full 55 overs were completed.

After the early loss of Richard Kellow, Stefan Churcher (23) and Matt Goldsbury (26) got to 45, before a collapse saw five wickets fall for 27 runs. That became 110 for eight but George Popperwell made 14, helping to add 48 for the ninth wicket. He was bowled by Jim Shorten and last man Tom Hoban was run out a run later. Jon Udy was left stranded on 43 not out, with over ten overs remaining.

Grampound Road 125-8, Truro 125-9

There was a thrilling finish at Grampound Road, where the spoils ended up being shared after the match was drawn with the scores level.

Rain interrupted play with Truro 27 for no wicket off five overs. After one over, another long delay prevented resumption until just before 5pm, with 62 overs lost overall.

Truro reached 125 for eight in their 24 available overs. Scott Harvey (23), Tom Sharp (19) and Adam Pascoe (17) all contributed before Andrew Senior made 24 not out. Aaron Todd and Martin Roberts took three wickets each.

Todd (42) and Matt Manuell (36) helped the Road to 84 before losing their second wicket. Marc Lewis then took five for 22 to leave ten needed off the final over, bowled by Sharp.

After Chris Willett was held in the deep Lewis Sanders hit a six and ran a leg bye to tie the scores. Martin Roberts was dramatically stumped off the last ball to leave Sharp with four for 32.

Read more from The Cornishman

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters