Login Register

County sport spotlight, January 24

By The Cornishman  |  Posted: January 24, 2013

Penzance Distance Swimmers: Renae, Shannon, Katie, Rosie, Ellis, Connor and Thomas. (Jacob and Tom missing from the picture). See story below.

Penzance Distance Swimmers: Renae, Shannon, Katie, Rosie, Ellis, Connor and Thomas. (Jacob and Tom missing from the picture). See story below.

Comments (0)


Cornwall and Devon League

Saltash 10 St Ives 21

St Ives recorded their 17th league victory of the season, at fourth-place Saltash, despite travelling with several regular first-teamers missing.

They missed out on the try-scoring bonus point, but with second-place Teignmouth's match at Plymouth Barbarians called off due to a waterlogged pitch, St Ives now boast a six-point lead at the top of the Cornwall and Devon League table, but having played two games more than their nearest rivals.

Hakes head coach Joff Rowe said: "I am really pleased with an away win at this point in the campaign.

"Like most sides at this stage of the season, we would prefer better conditions under foot and continuity of game time as so many matches are being postponed.

"We approached the game with a good attitude and executed our plays well.

"We have a really exciting month ahead of us, but we must remember where we were last year at this point.

"Early last February, we were talking about pulling out of the leagues, and here we are in January 2013 undefeated.

"That will not be forever, but I am pleased for the players and thankful for their hard work and commitment.

"My special thanks go to Sam Heath and Rich Humphries, who really showed their experience in line-out, ruck and carrying the ball on Saturday.

"They led from the front, and in the absence of others, they showed their true leadership skills."

St Ives' influential fly half Ceiron Thomas took control of the first quarter of play and helped get his side quickly into a seven-point lead.

In the ninth minute, scrum half Mark Sherris set up an attack finished by strong-running centre Tom Nicholas in the bottom corner of the pitch, and Thomas converted superbly from the touchline.

Direct from the restart, St Ives gave away a penalty but the opportunity was missed from in front of the posts.

Thomas showed his experience to keep the home side pinned back in their own half with some excellent positional kicking.

Six minutes after his first try, Nicholas bagged his second, and once again Thomas supplied the extras from out wide for a 14-0 advantage.

Saltash responded well and worked their way upfield, forcing the Hakes into making several infringements, and the pressure eventually resulted in a catch-and-drive line-out finished off by Saltash's captain and hooker Ryan Rayner to make it 14-5 to the visitors.

The home side continued to press, and a good move from a set piece saw the Hakes' defence fail and hard-running Max Venables set up Will Morton to go over for the hosts' second try, with again the conversion missed, for a 14-10 scoreline at the break.

In the second period, the Hakes, despite playing against the elements and up a difficult slope, grew in belief that a victory was within their grasp.

Their set piece was strong, they kicked to the corners, and infringements by the home side saw several penalties awarded, and on the third occasion the referee signalled a penalty try, converted by Thomas.

The remainder of the match continued in a similar vein as St Ives sought a bonus point, but they were frustrated by the referee's failure to award another penalty try or hand out yellow cards as Saltash continued to infringe, and the Hakes had to settle for a four-point haul, at the same time as ending Saltash's own slim promotion hopes.

St Ives face another very important fixture on Saturday when they travel to fifth-place Withycombe (2.15pm), who they beat 32-5 at Alexandra Road in early October.

St Ives: Ninnes, Palmer (J Prisk), Nicholas, Josh Semmens, A Rowe, Thomas, Sherris, Wheeler, Taylor (capt), Jenkins, Rouncefield (L Trudgeon), Humphries, Cox, S Stevens, Heath.

Saltash: Tries: Rayner, Morton.

St Ives: Tries: Nicholas (2), penalty try; Cons: Thomas (3).



Nine Penzance swimmers travelled up to Plymouth at the weekend to take part in the Cornwall County Distance Championships.

It was the first time that the event has been held at Plymouth in the 50 metre pool. The event was run alongside the Devon Championships so our Cornish Swimmers were able to compete against some strong competition, though the two Counties results were treated separately.

The girls swam 800 metres and Renae Caddy, Shannon O'Connell, Rosie Tonkin and Katie Walker took part in this.

Renae won the 12 year old age group and was also crowned the Junior County Champion, she took third place over all in the senior Championship which is a credit as only 12 years old.

Shannon was placed 4th in the 13 year old age group with Rosie finishing in a credible 7th position. Katie was the eighth 12-year-old and finished with a new personal best time.

The boys swim a gruelling 1500 metres and the Penzance representatives were Thomas Shorey, Tom Wood, Jacob Wood, Ellis Tonkin and Connor Keeler. Thomas Shorey was the first 17 year old and also second in the senior Championship.

Jacob returned as the fourth placed 15-year-old, whilst older brother Tom was second in the 16-year-old age group.

Ellis Tonkin was the bronze medallist in the 14-year-old age group. Connor finished in seventh place and knocked some time off his personal best.



Hayle Golf pro Wayne Graham and scratch amateur Matt Richards, of West Cornwall, had to birdie the 18th to win a hard-fought struggle by one hole against Richards' club secretary Gareth Evans and club stalwart Peter Darlington and reach the semi-finals of this year's Perranporth Open Winter Foursomes, sponsored by The Money Group. Sunday's local showdown saw Evans and Darlington take the first two holes, but their advantage was reduced to just one hole by the turn.

Graham and Richards levelled at the 10th and after an exchange of holes at 11 and 13, the two pairs were still locked together at all square going to the 18th tee.

Graham, the last professional left in the competition, unleashed a superb drive that ended just 12 feet from the pin at the par 4 final hole, while their rivals were 18 feet away in two.

Evans narrowly missed his birdie putt from 18 feet, while Richards knocked his approach putt stone dead to close out the match.

In the last four Graham and Richards will meet Newquay's David Pryor and Andy Hancock, who were taken to the 20th hole before defeating Carlyon Bay's Gavin Rowett and Jeff Hammett.

In the other half of the draw there will be a mouth-watering family affair after two father and son duos from the host club both won their quarter-final matches and will face each other in the semis.

Norman Kirton and his son Sandy edged past Falmouth pair Paul Huckle and Micky Doust 2&1, while Alastair Chivers partnered son Sam to a fine 4&2 win over clubmate James Davidson and Jon Coleman, of West Cornwall.

In the Plate competition Truro's Paul Trewhela and Matt Salmon, one hole winners over Mike and Dave Gregory (Carlyon Bay), will meet home pair Simon Wordley and Tim Griffin in the last four after the Perranporth duo saw off Tehidy Park's Ian Veale and Peter Simmons by 2&1.

Carlyon Bay's Jason Gay and Kevin Martin, who received a walkover into the semi-finals, will face Killiow's Mike Noble and Robert Pople, who defeated John Pease and Kevin Brenton (St Enodoc) at the first extra hole.

Quarter-final results: Main Competition - N & S Kirton bt P Huckle & M Doust 2&1; A & S Chivers bt J Davidson & J Coleman 4&2; W Graham & M Richards bt G Evans & P Darlington 1 up; D Pryor & A Hancock bt G Rowett & J Hammett at 20th. Plate Competition - P Trewhela & M Salmon bt M & D Gregory 1 up; S Wordley & T Griffin bt I Veale & P Simmons 2&1; J Gay & K Martin w/o N Ryan & R Button; M Noble & R Pople bt J Pease & K Brenton at 19th.

Semi-final draws (matches to be played on Sunday, February 3): Main Competition - N & S Kirton v A & S Chivers; W Graham & M Richards v D Pryor & A Hancock. Plate Competition – P Trewhela & M Salmon v S Wordley & T Griffin; J Gay & K Martin v M Noble & R Pople.

Mullion moved into the semi-finals of the CAW Cornwall Bowl with a 3-2 victory over Whitsand Bay at chilly Carlyon Bay on Sunday on a weekend when all four quarter-finals were decided by this same scoreline.

In the last four the winners will face defending champions Trethorne, who defeated Newquay 3-2 at Bowood Park on Saturday, to emulate their Frank Wills Salver side who have also reached the semi-final stage of their competition.

Also on Sunday Porthpean produced a strong showing to overcome Lanhydrock at Perranporth, while at Trevose Bude and North Cornwall appeared to be heading for defeat before staging a storming comeback to pip St Austell and set up a semi-final clash against Porthpean.

The semi-finals will be played on the weekend of February 16/17 at venues to be announced by CGU secretary Chris Pountney.

Quarter-final results: Saturday, January 19 – Trethorne 3, Newquay 2. Sunday, January 20 – Bude & N Cornwall 3, St Austell 2; Whitsand Bay 2, Mullion 3; Porthpean 3, Lanhydrock 2.

Semi-final draw (matches to be played on the weekend of February 16/17 at venues to be announced): Bude & N Cornwall v Porthpean; Mullion v Trethorne.

CGU secretary Chris Pountney has announced the venues for next month's two Frank Wills Salver semi-finals to be played on Sunday, February 10.

Tehidy Park will face Looe at St Enodoc (10am start), while Trethorne will take on St Enodoc at Perranporth (11.45am).

The final will be played at Perranporth on Sunday, March 10.

Roy Hillyar won Division Two and the Monthly Medal at Praa Sands on Sunday with a net 57.

Full Monthly Medal results: Div 1: 1, Ray Pearce 72-11=61; 2, Nigel Waters 72-11=61; 3, Victor Debarros 77-14=63; 4, Steve Strick 72-08=64. Div 2: 1, Roy Hillyar 75-18=57; 2, Simon Phillips 78-19=59; 3, Mike Hichens 78-16=62, 4, Ken McIlroy 79-16=63.

Carole Jones won the ladies' Winter League Medal on Saturday with 85-20=65. Anne Griffiths was second with 93-27=66, Ann Seabrook third with 93-25=68 and Jackie Quick fourth with 98-29=69.

Judy Thomas won the ladies' 9-hole Stableford on Wednesday with 19 points, with Jennifer Chambers second on 16 and Judy Harris third with 13. Anne Griffiths won the putting competition.

Local clubs' round-up, Page 81.



Division One:

The Croft A were a bit unlucky against Trewellard after losing 11-1 despite some fine darts thrown.

V Gill hit a 180 and shared a 20 leg in the pairs with T Morgan who himself threw 12 tons, R Chilton hit a 19 leg with 10 tons, G Annis hit a 20 leg while A Rowe saved the whitewash after hitting 21 and 20 legs in his 3-2 win over C Ninnis who hit a 16 leg with 12 tons.

Team-mates, D May threw two 180s with 18,14 and 17 legs with 12 tons, C Pass also threw two 180s with legs of 19 and a brilliant 11 dart with 10 tons, P Ellis hit a 180 with a 20 leg, while J Williams threw 10 tons.

Second placed Mousehole RBL A had a 9-3 win at The RAOB A with D Gambrill hitting a 180, S Fletcher threw 19 and 21 legs with 12 tons and also shared a 21 leg in the pairs with D Rowe who went on to record 21 and 15 legs with a fantastic 161 finish along with 13 tons, while S Hicks threw 14 tons.

For The Buffs who drop to eighth in the table after the defeat D Nudd hit a 19 leg in the pairs with B Jones who went on to record legs of 15 and 21 in his singles along with 16 tons. Third placed The Croft B suffered a 7-5 defeat to The Cornish Arms whose G Elliott hit a 180 with a 17 leg, and A Dunn a 19 leg.

While The Croft's C Nicholls recorded two 180s with a 13 leg plus a 106 finish with 13 tons and G Goodman hit 17 and 21 legs.

Elsewhere, fourth placed The Astro Nomads had to come from 3-0 down to defeat Ludgvan SC B 7-5 with J Millard hitting 13 tons, B Winterbottom hitting a 180 with an 18 leg, J Westren also threw a 180 with a 21 leg and 12 tons while D Stephens won the last game to win the match helped by hitting a 19 leg. Ludgvan's A Marshall and I Sawkins both threw 10 tons each.

Finally, The RAOB B moved up to fifth place after a 8-4 win at bottom team The Longboat Steelers, with A Harvey hitting a 180 plus a 19 leg, B Allen 20 and 19 legs with 12 tons, and S Allen a 20 leg and also recorded 12 tons.

For The Steelers, J Robinson hit a 180 with 15 and 21 legs.

Division Two

L Morse came from 2-0 down to defeat D Bowden 3-2 despite hitting 11 tons to save the white wash for The Alex who lost 11-1 to leaders The Longboat Vikings for whom V Durrant hit a 180, P Angove threw nine tons, while A Smitheram hit seven tons.

As The Standard A was on a bye The Wellington replaced them in second place after beating The Crown 7-5, with D Taskis in brilliant form hitting two 180s with 20 and 16 legs along with 15 tons, while The Crown's C Robinson also hit a 180.

The Radjel stay in fourth despite a big 10-2 win against The Astro Kings with P Britton finishing on 110 with seven tons and S Williams also recording seven tons.

K Pengelly was one of only two singles winners for The Kings after hitting a 180 with a 17 leg and nine tons.

The Royal Standard B moved up a place to fifth after narrowly beating Ludgvan SC C 7-5 with N Sullivan recording eight tons and M Hampton hitting seven tons.

Division Three

M Hooley threw eight tons for leaders The Bath who suffered their first defeat of the season after losing 7-5 at home to The Standard Gwinear A, who stay in fourth despite the good win.

M Bennetts threw seven tons for Ludgvan SC A who replaced The Trevelyan in second place who were on a bye, after they defeated The Mexico 9-3 despite M Gendall hitting nine tons in his defeat to J Berriman.

The London moved up a place in the table despite losing 7-5 to The Old Success whose J Wilby hit an 18 leg with seven tons and also shared a 21 leg in the pairs with G Rowe.

The Standard Gwinear B stay in seventh place being held to a 6-6 draw with The Astro Legionnaires for whom N. Murton hit a 180.

Division Four

Gulval CC moved two points clear at the top of the table after picking up a big 11-1 win over The Astro Arrows whose R Hart saved the whitewash after defeating S Eddy in his singles.

Second place The Fishermans were 9-3 winners over the Astro C. The RAOB C were also 9-3 winners against The Red Lion, with both M Skinner and K Brockman hitting seven tons each.

G Strick hit a 180 in the last game of the night to help give The Globe a second consecutive 7-5 win after beating bottom team The RAOB D.

Youth Rugby

Liskeard Looe U13s 5, Pirates U13s 12

Making the long trip to Liskeard the Pirates produced a fighting display on a freezing January morning to warm the heart of their supporters.

Liskeard-Looe ran in an early try courtesy of their quick and strong centre, and another would have followed but for a brave try-saving tackle by Alfie Hall.

In fact the Pirates defence proved an impenetrable barrier for the rest of the first half as they denied a strong Liskeard offensive camped only yards from their line.

The second half saw a fantastic resurgence, with fine ball possession by the Pirates enabling Shea Cornish to dive over in the left corner for an equalising five points.

It was a game that ebbed and flowed, with each team applying pressure, but it was the Pirates who created just the one more try in the game, scored by No. 8 Jamie Thomas which was a just reward for his persistence as a penetrative ball carrier. Max Walden duly added the conversion.

There were still five minutes remaining, and the home side applied considerable pressure, but the Pirates defence held admirably tight.

In what was a fine team effort overall, perhaps special mention is worthy for the work of forwards Peter Williams and Thomas Prosser, while Conner George also played close to the edge to win good ball in the loose.

Tom Tieken at centre put in some important tackles, and Daniel Rhys-Evans was also a constant threat on the wing.

Pirates U13s: K. Andrews, K. Ashley, C. Boyns, S. Cornish, D. Rhys-Evans, H. Eyriey, S. Friggens, C. George, A. Hall, J. Lambourn, J. Price, T. Prosser, S. Schmidt, T. Tieken, J. Thomas, R. Thomas-Sweetman, J. Tredinnick, H. Trow, M. Walden, P. Williams.

Scorers. Tries: S Cornish, J,Thomas; con: M. Walden.

Hayle U12s 35, Pirates U12s 14

The Pirates travelled to Hayle for a game arranged to fill a gap in both teams fixture lists.

Ahead of the match it was decided that both squads would train together, and with the coaches combining to good effect they delivered an excellent session to the 40-plus youngsters.

As for the game itself, the Pirates started poorly against their strong hosts. Their tackling let them down but with some stern words from the sidelines they quickly improved in this aspect.

The forwards also began to compete well at the breakdown as the side started to galvanise as a team, and having leaked two tries they scored a very good one of their own through Ali, which was a just reward for the improved commitment shown.

The second half continued at a frantic pace, with both sides playing some fantastic rugby, and although Hayle went further ahead through the hard running of their backs, the Pirates kept battling to the end and were again rewarded with a well deserved try for Morgan.

At the end it was clear that the Pirates could take great confidence from the result, as Hayle are very strong in the age group and after the previous week's heavy defeat to Redruth it was a much better performance.

Pirates U12s: Joe, Josh, Mack, Jacob, Will, Ali, Declan, Mawgan, Jordan, Henry, Zelah, Jamie, Morgan, Ryan, Harrison, Andrew, Matthew, Connor.

Scorers. Tries: Ali, Morgan; cons: Mawgan (2).

Read more from The Cornishman

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters