Login Register

Cornwall's wet weather curse strikes again as tie abandoned

By The Cornishman  |  Posted: June 28, 2012

Cornwall's Alex Smeeth sees his delivery shatter Devon's Rob Woodman's middle stump. John Wood.

Comments (0)

Devon 294-8 v Cornwall rsp

CORNWALL'S Minor Counties Championship game with Devon at St Austell was abandoned as a draw on Tuesday lunchtime after being wrecked by the weather.

Only 81 overs were possible with Devon not even completing their first innings. Saturday night's heavy rain left parts of the Wheal Eliza outfield underwater and it was no great surprise that the umpires called Sunday's play off after a 10am inspection.

Play was able to start at the earlier time of 10.30am on Monday and after electing to bat, the Devon top order didn't fare too well against Alex Smeeth.

In the fifth over he knocked back James Burke's middle stump. He did the same to Rob Woodman, with a replacement stump having to be called for.


David Lye was caught behind by Taylor Williams at 49 for three, which would have been even worse if half the total weren't extras. Ben Kitt trapped Seb Benton for 6 with the total at 89 and it had been Cornwall's morning.

Rob Holman was unbeaten on 33 at the other end, however, and with Josh Bess the pair got to lunch at 132 for four.

Rain returned and the entire afternoon session was lost with play restarting at 4.30pm.

Holman and Bess took their stand to 77 for the fifth wicket before Holman was trapped by Smeeth for 79. Andrew Libby struck to have Bess caught for 35 but Devon's lower order rallied. Peter Bradley made 35 on his debut before being bowled by Sam Hockin.

The Werrington bowler struck next ball to get rid of Trevor Anning. Matt Thompson was undefeated on 77 when bad light and drizzle sent the players off at 7pm with half an hour's play remaining.

They had reached 294 for eight with Smeeth taking four for 60 and Hockin two for 35.

The mist and damp conditions meant play was unable to start on day three at 10.30am.

An early 12.30pm lunch was ordered but with further rain falling at noon the game was abandoned as a draw. Both sides took seven points each.

With two championship games completed most of the Cornwall team have only gone to the crease once, with a grand total of only 208 runs scored to date.

Cornwall will be hoping for better weather at Falmouth a week on Sunday for the visit of Wiltshire. Prior to that they take on the PCA Masters XI in the Cornish Cricket Festival at Truro next Thursday at 5pm.

Read more from The Cornishman

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters