Login Register

Cornwall football finals round-up

By The Cornishman  |  Posted: April 04, 2013

Cornwall football finals round-up

Comments (0)

Senior Cup


Bodmin Town 0, Helston Athletic 0

BODMIN and Helston must try again in a replay after playing out an entertaining goalless draw in the Cornwall Senior Cup final at a bitterly cold Kimberley Stadium, Saltash on Easter Monday, writes Kevin Marriott.

But it is Carlsberg South West Peninsula League division one west side Helston who will take more out of this match, having pushed cup holders and premier division leaders Bodmin all the way with an excellent performance.

The replay will be on Tuesday April 16 at Truro City's Treyew Road with a 7.30pm kick-off.

Helston boss Sid Taylor said: "In the end we were quite disappointed because we created enough to win the game.

"Bodmin are one of the best sides around but we did ourselves proud."

Bodmin, who have won this competition for the past three seasons, were so subdued that in the dressing room afterwards, manager Darren Gilbert questioned his players' hunger to win more trophies.

He said: "We didn't turn up today. That was as bad as we can play; we couldn't win a tackle; we hardly won a header."

Helston, playing with the wind at their backs, dominated the first half and only the excellence of Bodmin goalkeeper Kevin Miller kept the game goalless before the break.

Man of the match Liam Eddy burst through on the left after 12 minutes and looked odds-on to score but his fierce low drive was blocked by Miller's legs and Huw Morgan completed the clearance.

Two minutes later Eddy was turning the Bodmin defence inside out, twisting and turning past Lewis Reed before firing in a shot which again forced a superb save from Miller.

Bodmin's best chance of the first half fell to their top scorer Adam Carter after 38 minutes but in a one-on-one with Helston keeper Jason Robertson, he tried a deft chip and succeeded only in sending the ball straight into the keeper's arms.

Bodmin needed to improve in the second half but Helston continued in the ascendancy and Eddy, causing Bodmin all sorts of problems, came close again in the 52nd minute when he outpaced Morgan but saw his shot deflected away for a corner.

Helston were testing Bodmin's offside tactics on a regular basis but they were frustrated by the linesman's flag and in the 54th minute their manager, Sid Taylor, reacted strongly when Mark Goldsworthy was ruled offside on the right hand side.

Reserve official Luke Maslen decided to get involved, sprinting to the Helston dugout to warn Taylor but was unhappy with his reaction and alerted referee Martin Ault, who ordered Taylor to the stand.

Bodmin were so bereft of ideas that the nearest they came to forcing a breakthrough came from a speculative 40-yard shot from Olly Brokenshire which sailed over keeper Robertson but also wide.

It was Brokenshire's last action, as he was almost immediately replaced by Neil Slateford, and Bodmin also introduced Sam Matthews and Luke Hodge in the last ten minutes as they attempted to change their fortunes.

But Helston, roared on by more than 200 noisy supporters, held out comfortably and at the final whistle they saluted their fans.

Bodmin: Miller, Reed, Rundle, Chambers, Morgan, Swiggs (Matthews 80), Colwell, Brokenshire (Slateford 68), Carter (Hodge 81), Luxton, Doel. Subs not used: Doddridge, Gilbert.

Helston: Robertson, B Stidwell (A Stidwell 76), Strike (D Stidwell 81), Thomson, Davies, Howlett, Adlard, Young, Eddy, Goldsworth, Russell. Subs not used: Collick, Fox.

Referee: Martin Ault.

Attendance: 706.

Junior Cup


Illogan RBL 1, St Austell 2

BEN Douglas scored in the 90th minute to clinch a dramatic victory for St Austell in the Westinsure Cornwall Junior Cup final at Saltash on Easter Monday, writes Lee Hall.

Illogan, beaten finalists the previous two seasons, ended the game with nine men after David Thomas and Ryan Treloar were sent off in the second half.

The Lillywhites took a 13th minute lead thanks to a Phil Hutchings penalty after player manager Nick Ward's foul on Douglas.

Illogan came more into the game after the break and equalised in the 55th minute through Gareth Pitt.

But with 71 minutes on the clock Illogan were reduced to ten men when Thomas was sent off after a second yellow card.

And then, in the 90th minute, after Treloar was sent off for a professional foul, the resulting free kick fell in to the path of Douglas who scored from close range.

TRURO City's two year stay in the Blue Square South came to an end in controversial fashion after a 2-2 draw with Basingstoke at Treyew Road on Easter Monday.

Needing a win to have any remote hope of avoiding the drop, they were denied victory by a disputed late equaliser.

Goals by Andy Watkins and skipper Jake Ash had put City 2-1 up with a quarter of an hour left, when Basingstoke's Delano Sam-Yorke seemed to handle the ball before finding the net with an accomplished finish.

But the goal was allowed to stand and City now cannot escape a place in the bottom three and relegation back to the Southern League.

Read more from The Cornishman

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters