Login Register

BT engineers on hand to save Scilly runner's life

By The Cornishman  |  Posted: May 30, 2013

  • From left, BT engineers and lifesavers Richard Sellick, Neil Pinsent and Simon Hibbin, who came to the aid of a jogger who collapsed. Nigel Young

Comments (0)

THREE engineers were in the right place at the right time to save the life of a jogger who collapsed on the Isles of Scilly.

The 62-year-old man had been running in a quiet area of St Mary's when he fell to the ground and stopped breathing.

Luckily he was spotted by the workmen who sprang into action, carrying out lifesaving CPR until the arrival of an air ambulance.

"If we hadn't been there he would be dead," said Simon Hibbin, a former firefighter who carried out the critical treatment with fellow BT engineers Richard Sellick and Neil Pinsent.

After working on the man for between ten and 15 minutes, the three were then joined by a paramedic who assisted their frantic bid to save his life.

"He hadn't been breathing, but when he took his first gasp of breath on his own it was emotional," said Mr Hibbin, who was in the fire service for more than 20 years.

The incident unfolded at around 1.30pm on Tuesday, May 21, in the Pendrathen area of St Mary's, at the north end of the island.

The BT engineers had only been on the island for a matter of days, carrying out preparatory work ahead of the launch of a new superfast broadband service.

The workers said "Hello" to the jogger as he ran past – only to collapse seconds later some 20 metres away from them.

"One of my colleagues said, 'He isn't moving' so we ran over," said Mr Hibbin, 46.

"He'd cut his head and wasn't breathing."

The jogger was put in the recovery position, an ambulance was called and Mr Hibbin began CPR.

A paramedic arrived to work on the man before a helicopter arrived to take him to the Royal Cornwall Hospital in Truro, where as the Cornishman went to press he was reported to be in intensive care.

"It was a team effort to keep him going," said Mr Hibbin.

"It didn't really sink in what was happening; we just got on and did it.

"We were just in the right place at the right time."

The lifesavers are working on St Mary's until Monday before returning to the mainland.

Isles of Scilly Sergeant Colin Taylor said: "The next of kin are very grateful that everyone worked so hard to give him the best possible chance of survival."

Read more from The Cornishman

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters