Login Register

Athletic's late two-goal burst denies Magpies welcome win

By The Cornishman  |  Posted: November 14, 2013

HEAD TO HEAD: Penzance striker Chris Bullock clashes with Penryn's Paul Baldwin in an aerial battle for the ball. Colin Ross.

Comments (0)


Penryn Athletic 2, Penzance 2

THE Magpies had what seemed a certain victory snatched from their grasp as Penryn struck twice inside the final 10 minutes to salvage an unlikely share of the spoils at Kernick on Saturday.

With their recent heavy 6-1 home defeat by Penryn still fresh in the memory, the Magpies soon set about avenging that scoreline and made the perfect start when they took a fifth minute lead, with Callum George glancing home Lewis Caspell's corner kick.

Penzance put the home defence under sustained pressure for much of the contest but they were unable to add to their slender lead until the 75th minute when the impressive Caspell cut inside the Penryn box and beat home keeper Chris Symons at the near post.

Former Magpie Kevin Lawrence pulled the ball back from the byline for fellow midfielder Sean Johnston to net what appeared a mere consolation goal for the hosts, before Chris Bullock spurned a gilt-edged chance to put the outcome beyond doubt when he blazed his effort over the bar with an open goal at his mercy.

The miss was to prove costly as Penryn struck a last-gasp equaliser from Gregg Hobbs to deny the Magpies boss Dean Mooney a first league victory and what would have been Penzance's first three points since mid September.

The Magpies, who are without a fixture this weekend, return to league action on Saturday week at home to leaders Sticker (3pm).

Mousehole's match at Wadebridge Town was postponed due to a waterlogged pitch at Bodieve Park. This Saturday the Seagulls are at home to struggling Holsworthy (2.15pm).


THERE were eight League Cup ties in total on Saturday which were all won by the home sides, a first for the cup since it became a knockout competition in 1982, writes Scott Haley.

Holders St Day made easy work of their tie against Redruth United as they beat the Combination newcomers by a five goal deficit for the second successive week. After scoring a hat-trick in a 6-1 win seven days earlier, Dominic Pullen bagged two more for his new club while Chris Tolley, Mikey Davies and Ian Hodges rounded off a 5-0 win.

Rivals Illogan were also at their best as they dispatched Goonhavern by the same scoreline. Matt Roberts (2), Sam Waters and Dan Richards were all on target, while the aid of an own goal capped off a good day for Mike Pascoe's men as they look to go one step further this season after they were beaten by St Day in the final last year.

Mullion produced something of an upset as they defeated high flying Ludgvan 2-1. Dan Jenkin was the hero as his brace was enough to cancel out Jamie Devine's strike.

Two goals apiece for Jack Wills and Neil Curnow put St Just in the hat for the next round as they saw off St Agnes 4-2. Duane Britton and Mike Burn grabbed Aggie's goals.

Newquay continued their decent start to the season after goals from Ross London, Matt Sanders and Dean Vince helped them to a comfortable 3-0 win over Hayle.

Paul Simmons' double was enough for RNAS Culdrose as they edged to a 2-1 win over Falmouth Athletic.

Joe Benney netted for the visitors but they couldn't find an equaliser.

Struggling Porthleven were beaten 2-0 in a local derby at Wendron with Justin Searle and Chris Mulroy grabbing the goals for Paul Murray's side.

Saturday's only league fixture saw St Ives Town beat Troon 3-0 at The Saltings.

Ross Duncan bagged another two to keep up his good run of form since returning from injury, while Curtis Richards notched his fourth league goal of the season to wrap up victory.

Read more from The Cornishman

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters